I have been eating a raw vegan diet since last November and have had tremendous success. I've lost 15 lbs, I'm taking 85% less insulin, and I have a lot more energy!
Please follow my blog for recipes, experiences, etc. 
This journey has inspired me so much that I'm currently looking into schools that offer holistic nutrition and health coaching. :-)
http://www.rawdiabetic.wordpress.com

Tags: Raw, blog, diet, insulin, loss, nutrition, recipes, reduction, vegan, weight

Views: 569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jen,
I have read quite a bit about the experience of people on insulin following a raw diet (we have a Raw Food Diabetics group here on TuDiabetes; http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/rawfooddiabetics)

I dipped my toe in raw food for very brief periods in the past and was able to see a decrease in insulin needs as you describe. However, I think it is important to be mindful of the difference between leading a raw food lifestyle and healing (or curing) diabetes. This has been my constant thing when I read about raw food and diabetes: regularly it gets labeled as a "cure" or a way to "reverse" diabetes, which it truly isn't. If it were, it means after my brief stint with it I wouldn't need to be on insulin any more or I wouldn't need to be on as much insulin any more.

Know what I mean? :)
I think Jen is using the word "healing" in a different sense than what you are thinking. To many people "healing" means making someone feel better, emotionally and spiritually as well as physically. It does NOT mean "curing". I think that accounts for the popularity of "alternative medicine", because the practitioners often concentrate on the patient's psychological state, and it DOES make them feel better, if they believe in the practice to begin with.

I had acupuncture regularly in Japan for asthma, and while the attention was pleasant, it did exactly nothing for my asthma, because I'm not a believer. So no placebo effect for me. It's also why I avoid alternative medicine -- no matter how many of my friends talk about how things like Reiki really help them feel better, I know it wouldn't work for me, because I just don't believe in it.

On the other hand, when there is at least some scientific evidence for something, I am willing to consider it, if it fits into my lifestyle and preferences. I couldn't deal with a vegan diet because I just plain don't like vegetables. And I can't tolerate much in the way of carbs. I've been trying a reduced-carb plan, and it HAS made a marked difference, and it's something I can tolerate. So I guess we all need to investigate and explore and find what works for us. YMMV!
"Heal" and "cure" are very similar which is very different than "feeling better" or "having better control of blood sugar".
------------------
From english dictionary.....
Heal-
–verb (used with object)
to make healthy, whole, or sound; restore to health; free from ailment.
to bring to an end or conclusion, as conflicts between people or groups, usually with the strong implication of restoring former amity; settle; reconcile: They tried to heal the rift between them but were unsuccessful.
to free from evil; cleanse; purify: to heal the soul.
–verb (used without object)
to effect a cure.
(of a wound, broken bone, etc.) to become whole or sound; mend; get well (often followed by up or over ).

--------------------
Either you are type1 diabetic or you are not. I know it's a touchy subject. I often speak before choosing the proper words myself. I'll let you guys decide. Nuff said! =)
Another way to look at it might be to break it down in the manner than doctors do? While your 250.01 (diabetes T1 controlled) might not get "cured", you might very well be able to cure 356.9 (idiopathic peripheral neuropathy) or 362.01 (background diabetic neuropathy) or 563.3 (gastropareisis) by adjusting one''s diet along these lines
So if your T1 blood sugar is better controlled, then you can cure the side effects of T1? That's a stretch since lots of people that are NOT raw-vegan have grrrrreat blood sugar control. I'm still not convinced. I do a LOT of active work (burning carbs) and doubt that diet will supply me enough energy or protein. To me it seems the less insulin I take, than I am more inactive and always hungry. Just my opinion. keep the opinions coming though...I'm stubborn and open minded at the same time. =)
I was referring more to the cure side of things, as I was thinking specifically of recent 50 year medalist Richard157 having reported his eyes clearing up after tightening his control. I think it doesn't take that long to get used to being active on less carbs.. I siad the same thing you did but, after some low carb advocates suggested that wasn't the case, I tried cutting way back for a week, ran about 10 miles more than I had been and seemed ok energywise. I sort of suspect that if we took all the low-carb vegans vs. all the "regular" diet T1s that the LCV folks might win somehow?

I have to add that I am by no means LC or V but think there's some potential to find improvement w/ that approach?
Well, I think you need to differentiate between the diet and the control. Jen is apparently getting very good control on her raw-vegan diet, and Dr. Bernstein is also apparently getting very good control on his extreme-low-carb diet. Bernstein has reported the reversal of complications -- he talks about it in his book, and he also said, in a telephone conference, that he gets that kind of result in his patients, as well. I'm hoping that Jen is too young to have had any complications!

As I asked in my earlier post, where is the line between excessive insulin and enough insulin to control your BGs? If, by taking less insulin, you are always hungry and more inactive, it sounds to me like that's just not enough insulin to meet your needs.

A vegan diet CAN supply enough carbs, easily -- grains, rice, cereals, and potatoes, etc. The raw part, I'm not familiar with. And you can get enough protein from plants if you eat a LOT, and a great variety. Me, I could never do it, but there are other people, including diabetics, who apparently can. YMMV
While I disagree from most Vegan enthusiasts that it is a "cure" for T1... I do agree it is a great way to eat for your body... A cure to me is when I can pig out on ice cream and mexican coca cola and not have to take insulin... I am giving the Vegan diet a go for lent this year... just to see if I can do it. I'm glad you are having such wonderful results!!! That is awesome... My cousins in NJ do the same and love it!
Good for you Jen!

I look forward to reading your blog and do wish to thank-you for sharing.

I've been eating RAW (not 100% - more like 70% of the time) for over 15 months now and have experienced tremendous results as well. I've been a T1 for 22 years and have never had such great control!

I think the highlight of this 'special' diet was when I was able to show my doctors that I was getting enough iron/calcium/essentials upon my 6 month and 1 year blood tests. I'm also happy to say that after so many years of being on heart meds/blood pressure/cholesterol pills, that I am now pill free :) Even my Endo found that hard to believe until he saw the results.

It's not an easy diet to follow and I really don't believe it is for everyone's body. It has worked for me and my family, and truly that is the most important thing.
Are you doing raw, or raw vegan?

Good for you!!! In my experience, going raw vegan was (and is) the only thing that has made a huge difference in my health regarding Diabetes. My whole body responded in wonderful ways, including my state of mind. Don't let anybody's cynicism (and lets face it- being cynical is way easier than having a little faith) steal your enthusiasm. It seems clear that those who are critical of your raw vegan lifestyle have never tried it themselves. In other words, who cares what people who don't have the experience think? You are taking care of yourself, and thats what is important! JUst continue to thrive, listen to your body, and keep the faith. Best wishes to you and all of us who are on this journey of healing. Love and Light.

It always amazes me when a thread rises from the dead more than a year later!

I'm a vegetarian and completely supportive of people making whatever choices they make re diet (though Sally's mention of raw meat and parasites above did make me a bit queasy!) I think that some of the concerns about the thread (at least mine) is the title - implying that this (or any) diet can "heal" or "cure" Type 1 diabetes. Some of us really flinch at that sort of thing because we hate to see people given false hope.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service