my input:
1.you pay more attention to the food you're actually putting in your mouth.
2. You have much better respect for the rest of the stuff your body just "does", even though your silly pancreas has given up..
3.The look on peoples faces when you whip out you injection pen? Or is this just me. I love it!

Views: 850

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I only play the D card in restaurants that take a very long time to get my food to me. After taking my insulin there is only so long I can wait.

But I never use it as an excuse because I can do anything.

And Tiuri you are SO lucky I wasn't your teacher. :)

My momma (type 2 diagnosed 6 years after me) told me that diabetes is hard, but better than having diarreha forever. I have to agree with her, which puts me on the bright side.

I have had D for a long, long time. Fun? No, but I have a great life, great husband, wonderful son, two grandchildren...a lot of things I would never would have done if I had let D run my life.

In fact, I made the huge mistake of telling my son I would never watch the Grands without back up, and now they won't leave them with us at all.....

So, go forth and conquer!!! Get in their face. Don't let it rule you. You are a lot more than a diabetic!! It is all to your benefit.

Not that it's a good thing to have diabetes, but having diabetes has been berry, berry good to me:

1. It motivated me to quit smoking.
2. It motivated me to pay attention to what I eat.
3. It motivated me to start running. (Just finished the Ragnar Del Sol - 200.5 mile relay race, with 11 other of my Type 1 running pals.)
4. It motivated me to take care of my health in a wide spectrum of areas.
5. It made me pay attention to what I'm doing, how I'm living and what my body is telling me.
6. It introduced me to many highly motivated, uplifting and forward looking people.
7. It taught me how make endless lists of things.

It got the Army recruiters to stop calling me when I turned 18 -- quick.

The flip side: it ended my Army career at the 14 year point. Back to the soup line for me. On the positive side - the taxpayers saved a fortune in not having to pay my Army retirement or health benefits.

You have an excuse to eat anytime anywhere you want, even in restricted areas

true! getting to eat in exams..jealous looks!

If it hadn't been for Type I, I'd have never lost my career which forced me to go back to college where I met my delightful bride. After 18 years of complications, trials, travails and near death experiences, having her come into my life has been worth it and then some.

I actually figured out something good about having diabetes. I think having any kind of chronic condition would make most people welcome death a lot more then anyone with good health. If I have to keep suffering like this death doesn't seem all that bad however If were healthy and able to enjoy life and live to the fullest I'd want to live forever.

get over it. Go find a miserable thread to spam.

Really Debby Downer??? Thats your positive input...Its like you cant help to complain all the time, we get it your suffering. We all have something to complain about and there are hundred of millions in this world way worst off than you. Maybe if you stop focusing on how much your suffering, you might just stop suffering. Your attitude and perception molds your life, even health. The mind is very powerful...

1.Having had diabetes for so many years makes me appreciate life. I am so grateful for each year that goes by with me being in pretty good shape!
2.I have empathy for people with difficult health situations. The older I get, the more people I know who are facing challenges I overcame years ago. Therefore, I am able to boost their confidence.
3. I really can appreciate being a grandma! Years ago doctors advised youngsters like me not to have children because I wasn't going to live long enough to raise them. There's been much progress since then.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service