Howdy,
Okay so what do you pumpers do when you run? I'm still new to the pump but haven't really done solid running on it yet. I've just been lifting and know how to account my basal and ratios to that accordingly---but i know running will be COMPLETELY different unfortunately.

On MDI i would usually have 17u of lantus when i was in phases where I didn't do cardio much- then when i did do cardio my Lantus would be around 12.

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi there,

Well I put on a temporary basal 1 hours before I run, I reduce my basal by 60%. I take 15 grams of carbs for every mile I run, I usually have a bag of jelly beans or a sports drink on me. I ensure I am a little bit higher than normal, say 125 before I start.

I find running is a great post meal exercise as well, it really helps reduce any spikes from larger carby meals in my experience.

This will be different for everyone,so a bit of trail and error is involved as with anything diabetes related. This works for me and I can now stay completely steady during runs up to 1hr 30mins.

http://www.runsweet.com/

This site is pretty good.

Good luck.

I am not a pumper....but I have read some posts on running. The gist of what I learned was...you need to eat a few extra carbs, run a temp basal, make sure you're bg is good before you run and possibly if you want to, wear a pouch...try a spibelt. We just got one for DD...she can run like a mad woman...that pump stays put! ;-) sorry if any of this info was obvious...just passing it along.

I turn my pump down to 40-75% of normal but, a lot of times, am not organized enough to do it until I'm getting ready to go.

For 3 miles, I don't worry about where it's at but for longer runs, c. 6-7 miles I'll aim to get to the 120s and then keep an eye on my CGM, usually have maybe 1/2 c. of gatorade, about 12-15G of carbs about 1/2 way. I use the powdered gatorade as 1) it's cheaper, like $3.99/ 5 gal worth and 2) with a scale, you can measure it very precisely, stronger if you need it. For a longer race, with support, I'll bring a bottle w/ 45G of carb in it in case of emergencies? I haven't used those bottles and usually rely on the support and hit gatorade stations and it's worked out ok.

Race Ready shorts are handy too. They have a big, mesh pocket that will hold a One Touch Ultra Mini, although I put mine in a bag when it's hot, so I don't sweat on it too much.

I generally run anywhere from 5-8 miles at a time. I turn down my basal rate by 60%. If I have already been running a bit high that day, I might only turn it down to 75% and if I've been running low, I'll turn it down by as much as 40%.

Theoretically you're supposed to make this adjustment about an hour before you start exercising. In reality, I generally do it right as I'm setting out for my run. I always carry several types of fast-acting glucose with me and my cell phone. Gu gels work really well for me if I'm going super low. I also take some jelly beans and a few glucotabs.

Oh, weather for me plays a HUGE role. I live in DC and it's pretty hot here in the summer. Basal rates get turned down more in the heat, less when it's cold.

thanks for all the replies--- do u guys get lows later in the day from running though?

I have to admit I usually eat afterwards? I get a run up, either adrenaline or leftover extra jelly beans when I'm done and then it will run lower so I usually bouls, shower and eat a small meal with some lighter carbs and protein. If the post-parandial test from that looks low, I'll turn off the pump. If the CGM suggests it's "sticking" low, I'll keep eating. Not a huge amount but sometimes greasy junk food hits the spot too?

Hey Tom,

If I run over 6 miles I will stay lowish for a while after.

As with acidrock I usually eat straight after a run which and adjust my bolus accordingly.

sorry for the mini hi-jack...im not using a pump BUT have a similar query:

Im not sure if i mentioned it before but i had a shocker of a triathlon race the other week. I just had no power. Then it dawned on me. I had a smallish dose of lantus the previous night (5 units, im honeymooning) and had no bolus for breakfast of 3 peices of toast and honey. My bloods got up to about 10ish or so. As mentioned i just lacked energy. Since i usually bolus 1 unit for breakfast, do you think i should have bolused and had more carbs to create a larger spike? Or, alternatively, get another pen which delivers half units and just done half a unit? Im starting to think having NO insulin on board works against you. After all, insulin is needed to shuttle glucose into muscles right? As im a bit new to this, do you think next time i should have SOME novarapid, even if its a small bolus and the create another bsugar spike prior to the race of required rather than what i did which was have no insulin?
I should also note i was beginning to get a cold, could have been a bad day, but only now it makes sense that i should have had SOME insulin. I might have to get a Demipen so i can get some half units maybe?
Thanks to acidrock for his help in this too!

I think you want some insulin to process the food or you run out of gas, as the cells aren't getting energy. Although if you don't get the insulin right, you run out of gas because the cells aren't getting any energy either? The main thing I think I do is try to bolus and eat about 2 hours before "blast off" and then test at "showtime" and use a few quick-acting carbs to adjust it to get my bg into the 110-140 "wheelhouse" where I want it.

sounds like the way to go, i dont have a tri for a few weeks yet, but i might try this in training anyway!

That's the best idea, get it when you are relaxed. Before bigger races, I have seen a lot what I presume to have been a lot of pre-race adrenaline highs.

Is it bad i usually make sure my sugar is above 200 before cardio because i drop very quickly?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service