Let's just say I almost blew it today. To start with I awoke this morning high at 159. I am not a breakfast eater and I usually only inject Levemir in the morning but this morning I took a correction of Novolog with the intention of grabbing a quick snack before leaving the house in case I over corrected. Guess who forgot the snack and guess who over corrected.

Late in the morning I was on a jobsite with three co-workers when I started feeling low. I carry glucose tabs in my work truck for just such an occasion but I was not in my truck and I began to panic. I was feeling early warning signs and knew I would be in trouble soon. I did not want them to see me when my low really set in.

I was lucky one of my co-worker came over and started a conservation. During our idle chat he made mention of lunch plans and I immediately said I hope we eat soon because I was feeling a little shaky. I don't know if he sensed my panic but he reached in his pocket and tossed me a piece of hard candy. I don't know if he realizes that he saved my bacon but I sure was grateful.

I guess this goes to show that you can never be to careful.

Gary S

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Glad it all worked out. I carry around with me a baggy of jelly belly jelly beans. I usually keep them in my purse, not that that would help you, but maybe you can pack a small sandwhich bag of jelly beans and carry them around in your pants pocket or something. They have saved my butt a time or two.

Everyday is another diabetic adventure between life and death. FWIW I was 33 at work last week. Somehow I continued working while shoveling sugar down my throat. I'll take lows any day over highs.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service