I'm 27 years old, I've been diabetic for 26 years now, and I've been married for five years... My husband is dying to have children, and I guess secretly I am too. The truth is, I'm terrified about the idea of being a pregnant diabetic, and I'm even more terrified that my baby will eventually become diabetic. I'm a third generation diabetic... this damn disease has not skipped a generation yet. Whenever my mom talks about having to inject me at 15 months old, she cries. I don't know what to do. Is there any current research about the likelihood that my children will have the big D? The idea of it being "hit or miss" will not work for me!

Views: 111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cara, I think I know a little of where you are coming from.

I have diabetes on both sides of my family tree. But everyone else's diabetes is of the 'diagnosed late in life-Type 2-diet/exercise/pills-early death' variety. I was dx at age 38, non-autoimmune Type 1. I am the only diabetic in the family on insulin. I'm also the only diabetic on both sides of the family with non-diabetic blood sugars.

I am currently 14 weeks pregnant as well.

Yes, being a pregnant diabetic is hard work. But it can be done and I know it will be so worth it in the end. Women with uncontrolled diabetes have a much higher risk of things going wrong in their pregnancy. But if the diabetes is well-controlled, the risk is the same as any non-diabetic woman.

If you are thinking of getting pregnant, you need to check in with your diabetes team. I believe you need good blood sugars (A1C under 6.5) for at least six months before conceiving. It is a goal to work towards slowly and at 27, you have the luxury of time which is something I don't have! You also need to be on an industrial-sized dose of folic acid (12.5 times the normal dose) which will need to be prescribed for you.

As for the fear that your baby will become diabetic, let's put it into context. First of all, Type 1 (the classic autoimmune variety) is actually less genetic than Type 2. There are lots of Type 1 parents with non-diabetic children. Also lots of Type 1s are the only Type 1s in their entire family. There is risk in everything in life. Your baby could have an autoimmune attack, sure. But your baby could also be the victim of a terrorist attack, be knocked down by a bus, or be attacked by a python in the garden.

Plus the advantage of already having a long-term T1 in the family is that you know the routine and would be better prepared to deal with it.

You know, I kinda wonder if my own parents had these same thoughts before I was born. I don't know if at that time they knew there was diabetes on both sides of the family, because people tend not to talk about such things. If they did know, did they also have similar worries about me? After all, I ended up being struck with the family curse, albeit in a slightly different flavour to everybody else's. I'm glad they decided to take the risk nevertheless.
When I was trying to get pregnant I was told that the additional chance of my child becoming a type 1 diabetic like me was only 4%.

Please don't let your fear stop you from doing this. I was also terrified, and I waited to long to take aggressive action and things didn't work out for me. I really hope your story turns out better than mine did.

Good luck!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service