So my endo calls me into the office today after finding out I am with child and hands me new bg log papers that also have a spot for 2 hour bg readings saying "You now need to test 2 hours after meals not just before meals anymore" bahahaha I had to try really hard to keep from saying anything back to him or laughing out loud!! Is this serious!?
Also just wanted a little basal advice. Since I am now expecting my bg needs to be under tighter control. I have currently been taking 3u of Levemir before bed and waking with decent fasting bg 90-120. But as the day goes on my bg rises I will be under 100 2-4 hours after lunch and then by the time I check my bg before dinner I will be around 130 and cannot get my bg under 130 before bedtime no matter how little carbs I eat for dinner. My endo suggested I take 2 units Levemir at night and 2 units in the AM before breakfast along with my humalog. I just now got comfortable with insulin and now theres a wrench thrown in it! I am nervous about splitting up my dose and having more lows especially since I exercise a lot.
Oh and good news! I applied for a Dexcom 7 and was told I would more than likely be approved in the next 3-5 days!! :) YAY!!
Hopefully will get it just in time for those nasty first trimester low blood sugars.
-Jenn

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's terrific. As you said it probably really helps that she has lived with a T1. I don't think you can really understand this disease unless you or someone very close to you has it. I think it would be great to have endo residents stay with T1 families for a week or so to really see how things work :)
That is so true about some people following orders from their doc even if it happens to be bad advice. Sad but true.
My bad for taking your original post so literally! Glad you are a step ahead of your endo. Sometimes all you can do is smile and nod at them, you know?
I got mixed messages re: how often to test too. One endo said I didn't need to "go overboard" with testing. But there are so many instances where I feel testing is just mandatory (like before getting in my car). Sometimes I think they just don't have a clue.
Congratulations on the baby! I hope you get approved for the Dex - you will love it!
Congratulations!

I probably would have laughed. Nice time to tell you this after all these many months.

You may not have lows splitting your dose at such a low Levemir dose since you're now having highs. What I'm questioning is why he told you to lower your bedtime dose because less isn't going to help your fasting.
Gerri,
Would you recommend taking 3 units at bedtime still and 1 unit in the AM? Suggestions?
I don't know how pregnancy effects doses. Ask your endo why he's prescribing less Levemir during the time of day when you need more & less at bedtime that won't help fasting when ideally you should be under 100. Hope he paid attention to your logs. My guess is that he's thinking some of the bedtime Levemir will see you through the afternoon, but Levemir doesn't tend to stick around that long especially at your low doses. Why Levemir works best with two doses.

What I would do is take the same 3 units at bedtime. Try 1 unit in the morning to see how that goes for a couple of days. If you still have afternoon highs, add 1 unit or 1/2 unit to your morning dose. Seems that you'd need more than just one unit to keep you level through the day.
Hi, Lil MaMa. I've done some experimenting with my Levemir split doses and found that one unit doesn't seem to make any difference. Maybe that's just me, but anyway for my second dose, I take 1 1/2 units (first dose is 5 units). With a little careful experimenting, I'm sure you'll get it right.
It appears you tail off your levemir early like lantus with myself. I was taking 6u with the same before dinner problem and tried splitting the dose as well and ended up with less stability then before. I actually achieved better stability by shifting my dosing time into the afternoon, the tail off from my lantus is now covered by a small portion of my lunchtime bolus and then I'm bolusing for dinner in time to counteract any delay before the new shot reaches full efficiency. Now I find my numbers are much more stable and in range.
Congratulations! On the baby and the Dex. And get ready for lots of changes in your insulin regimen in the next 9 months!
The Dex wil help you catch lows. Insulin sensitivity increases in the first trimester and then plummets, so just watch for lows now. But if you endo feels you should try this (splitting) I would give it a try.
I made changes almost weekly stating at around 4-5 months.
You take 3u of Levemir per day, is that correct? If so the 2/2 split he suggests sounds correct to me. It is one unit more in terms of TDD. The split gives you coverage around dinner bringing your bg below 130 mg/dl. Just think of the Levemir as an Insulin that will work for 24 hours. It looses half of its potency after 12 hours. But both shots combine to give you 24 hour coverage. When the first shot starts to fade the second shot kicks in.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service