I was surfin the internet and found this article on an new insulin they are coming out with... Some may have heard this, but new to me..

Insulin pumps, which use a catheter placed just under the skin, are ideal for people with Type I diabetes because they allow them to match insulin levels to their lifestyle without injections. However, only a small percentage of diabetics use them. Insulin pumps are often bulky, inconvenient and fit more in a hospital setting than on a person 24/7. Tandem Diabetes Care created t:slim, an insulin delivery system that looks more like a smart phone than a medical device.

BLOG: Mapping the 'Diabetes Belt'

Compared to traditional insulin pumps, t:slim is 25 percent thinner and the first device of its kind to have touch screen technology. It also features a rechargeable battery and USB connectivity to keep up with levels for 90 days on t:connect, the device’s web-based management software. Because the device just receive FDA approval, it still needs to build up its business operations, but Tandem hopes to launch it in the first half of 2012.

Via: Gizmodo

Credit: Tandem Diabetes Care

Sleeker, Slimmer Insulin Pumps Will Improve the Lives of Diabetics

Insulin pumps can be an easier way to deal with type 1 diabetes, but only 20 to 30 percent of the country who rely on insulin use them because they're usually not very discreet. The t:slim, however, looks as sleek as a smartphone, and even features a touchscreen UI so it's easier to carry and less conspicuous to use in public.

About as large as a credit card, the t:slim is 25 percent thinner than traditional insulin pumps, measuring about as thick as your average smartphone. It uses a rechargeable battery and replaceable insulin cartridges for both bolus (a fast acting large dose) and basal (a low continuous dose) deliveries, while a full color touchscreen display makes it easier to navigate settings menus and monitor its performance. And besides charging, a micro-USB port allows usage data and statistics for the past 90 days to be uploaded to a website so users can monitor their progress and better manage their condition.

But since the t:slim was only just approved by the FDA, diabetics finally willing to make the switch from needle injections are going to have to wait until the middle of next year while the company behind the new pump works to get their product support infrastructure in place.

Views: 3008

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

T-SLIM, as the Animas Vibe, are all-in-one: a tubed pump with integrated receiver and display. So they fit your requirements very well ;-)

(french link with some images of Vibe CGM near the end: link)

If they just put Phone software into this thing, I would buy it in a second. I hate carrying extra stuff. I already dumped my dexcom because I could never keep track of it and I went with the MM sensors. I prefer the dex but I know myself too well.

Besides I ruined one dex receiver by getting is splashed with water.

There is however a way to use dexcom sensors with your MM pump. You need to ask a dex engineer to translate the codes and there is a setting on your pump too that needs to be changed.

I would tell you how, but it requires having the codes translated which I can not do.

I had 15 Dex sensors that I used with my MM pump , and then I switched over to Mm sensors when my Dex transmitter stopped working.

Oooooo, me want!

I've never been interested in an iphone, however this looks amazing..

I'm not too fond of iPhones, I honestly prefer my blackberry. With the new BB10 OS, wouldn't it be cool to have a phone/meter? that read both Dex and Ping? That's my ideal device. All in one is best. I hate walking around with every pocket filled with a device. Feels like I'm the stay puffed marshmallow man from Ghostbusters.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service