I'm currently in a honeymoon period of type 1.  Therefore I'm taking very small doses of both basal and bolus insulin.  Usually I am only injecting 3 units of novolog with each meal (20:1 carb ratio)  Looking at the design of this pen-- it seems obvious to me that the first and last unit of a dose of any size are fairly imprecise.  Mid dose-units should be fairly accurate-- but if you are only taking 3 units at a time, and the first and last unit are prone to being iprecise, your doses could be pretty inconsistent, particularly with small doses.  Have any of you had this experience / concern?  Are syringes better in this regard?  Any suggestions?

Views: 854

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a lot of trouble with Pens and my CDE recommended I try a pen with half unit dosing like the Novolog Jr. I initially took 4u Lantus and 1-5u novolog with meals my I:C ratio was 1:20. Ultimately, I found it nearly impossible to get the dosing just right and often found myself high or low. I switched to a pump and am very glad I did.

For my 3 years old daughter I use half unit pens: novolog junior (for novolog and levemir) and luxura hd (for humalog and lantus): i find their dosing accurate enough.

But if you need super precision and don't want/need a micro pump look at this (I think) wonderful pen: Pendiq (link). It costs 170 euro plus shipping (online shop).

It can work with humalog/lantus, doses 0,1U from 0,5U up, it's electonic controlled and "remembers" all data you can download later to PC.

Here a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trlVF2Bg7jY

169 Euro is about $223 US, just to let you all know. I'm not sure if this is available in the states.

To exactly deliver one unit with a pen is problematic but 2 or 3 units should work perfectly - at least with a NovoPen. I really recommend the NovoPen Echo with 1/2 unit delivery and memory (very important for the basal).

I'm trying to get my hands on an Echo for mealtime insulin. No one has even heard of it around here, not even the diabetes center.

I have an Echo .It keeps track of amount used and time of injection.Also measures in half units but only up to 35 units. It is made by Nova.

Yep, not available in the states. I would highly recommend Humolog luxura hd pen, although my insurance (United Health Care) does not cover it.

I use Apidra in a pen. For most meals I only inject only 1 or 2 units and as far as I know the dosing has been accurate. Generally, no unexpected highs or lows. I would love the flexibility of 1/2 units, but I've gotten so used to Apidra, I don't know that I want to switch to Novolog. Of course, I might have to if the Apidra pen shortage isn't resolved soon.

It isn't approved, but it works: you can put an apidra cartridge into a Luxura HD pen. Luxura is for humalog, but it has the same size as apidra. Apidra is only a little "longer" so you have to put on an open needle while closing your pen the first time just to let some insulin spring out.
So you have half units with apidra.

Does this work with Novolog too?

No, but novolog has his own pens with half units, they are novopen junior, echo and there should be novopen demi too with half units.

The same luxura hd works with lantus.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service