Smiths Medical is planning to discontinue manufacturing the Deltec Cozmo® insulin pump for direct sale

Views: 223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Late to this thread, but can't say I'm sorry to see them go. When they first came out they had some really nice features and forced minimed to upgrade their aged software, but I've had too many problems with their refurbished replacement pumps dying on me. I'd bet that their poor QC cost them a lot of money in the long run - I'm on my fifth pump in four years.

Thankfully I am just in the process of switching to an animas ping, so I shouldn't be stuck with the Cozmo for too long.
Ok ay I just got my pump in october 08, after lots of research. I love my Cozmore, no extra blood sugar monitor to haul around, So now I'm like a parent who just adopted a new child to find out that the child is going to leave me.

Ok so we can cry about it, or maybe the other pump companies will take up where Cozmore left off.
Add in the cool features into their pumps and lure us to them by giving us what we wanted in the first place.

We must organize and lobby the other pump companies to buy Cozmore and go from there.
I'm glad I got it when I did, 10 days before the announcement. I'm not too worried about it. I have no insurance and have done this out-of-pocket. I get a kick out of people who are stressing about not being able to get a new pump for 5 years instead of 4 because of insurance. If you want/need one you will find a way to pay.

By the time I'm ready for a new pump, who knows what will be available.

I think the cozmo is the best choice for any "techie". Most MM users I know are not into or are intimidated by technology like smartphones, pda's etc. They want the simplest, easiest pump. The cozmo users I know are all of the younger generations.

I thought about trying to return it like I heard others doing but I really didn't have a second choice.
I'm the minority here in your MM statement. I'm a programmer, with a smart phone and am considered a techie. I have always chosen MM over Coz due to size.
I have to agree with the size part but the tech/ease of use won out over vanity.
Not at all; I have been a Unix developer for 10+ years, and have worked in middleware and messaging.

The pump decision was easy for me; I liked the way mine works, I wanted the ability to upgrade to CGMS and I wanted one less thing to carry.

I looked at Coz and found it a little thick, but I liked the clip on meter. But MM won my business - they had the wireless meter (which I do not use) and CGMS. Their UI is dumbed down, no doubt - but I really don't want to have to spend a great deal of time under the hood programming my pump.

Hopefully, MM with release some "Coz" features to attract them - I would love to see the easy UI - and then a more complex/programmable UI with the cozmore features.

No doubt, J&J crushed the market with their color screens and wireless meter based control system - also very attractive features.

Market may be shrinking, but we still have good choices.

drew
I 100% agree, I am a Unix head at work, and prefer Macs at home because they are simpler, and easier for me to support.

drew
I was waiting for you Dave! I tried not to kick and scream and let my pregnancy hormones write for me. But THANK YOU for typing what I wanted to say but couldn't say it properly.
Different strokes for different folks :)

I use both Cozmo and Minimed (I'm switching back and forth). Both are good pumps. There are some features that I prefer on one. Other features that I prefer on the other.

So I believe that I could even say different strokes for "the same folk".
I am 18, almost 19, and I am definitely 'tech savvy'....but you are right; I picked MM because it was simple. These are insulin pumps, not Ipods. A pump, is a pump, is a pump, they all deliver insulin, and that is all I wanted...something reliable that would deliver insulin. 95% of the time all I do with my pump is bolus, or tweak basals. The rest of the time it just sits there. Animas had too many bells and whistles, too much scrolling and button pushing etc. Also I heard the screen is great inside, but terrible outside…I am outside quite often.

I actually liked Cozmo, the way the screen looked, how it worked, even the cell phone design etc. However, I had heard through the grapevine that things were not looking good for the company (in February), so I picked what I felt was the next best choice(for me) the MM. Cozmo may not be my pump of choice, but I am still very sad to see it go. I think having multiple competing pumps on the market forces these companies to innovate and improve.

Honestly, I don't understand why anyone needs to defend their choice of pump. MM is not 'caveman' technology, but yes, it is so simple a caveman could do it(sorry, couldn’t resist, that commercial is stuck in my head). It is a great pump, I love it….but they are all great pumps. I just don’t understand why there seems to be ‘competition’ between pumps and its users. These aren’t cars and which one is the fastest, they are medical devices.
I used my first Cozmo for 5 years, and received my second one in January 09- - - - I am not of the younger generation! I'm a very young 72.
I am new to pumping but I trust my parents and I believe they trust My Doctor. He told us about the MM as well as Cozmore and Animas when we were all making the decision of what pump would be the best choice for me.My choice was the Cozmore because I liked the colors but I was out voted. I remember he told us he did not think The MM was our best choice. So If I am not out of line I must respectfully disagree with you that MM is the best money can buy.Got to go I'm in the library.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service