Thank you for all of your responses. I'm still seeking help, but am editting this discussion because I feel a little exposed having it out there. Thanks again for your support and understanding. I will let you know if I find a solution to my insurance issue (or lack thereof)

Views: 659

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Marps,

I noticed you use Apidra, do you use pens or vial? One thing you might be able to do on a short term basis if you haven't already is I've heard there is a pen shortage of Apidra and they were offering I believe free vials for a certain amount of time for those willing to switch to vial insulin. It's definately not a long term fix, but anything to save some money as long as you can is worth something.

Your situation just proves that the Health Reform Act did nothing but protect vested interests like the insurance companies and big pharma. People with chronic life threatening conditions are simply left to fend for themselves. Perhaps things will be better in 2014 when the law is supposed to take full effect. But what are people in your situation supposed till then? Those who wish to repeal what was passed, with all its flaws, need to explain how the mighty free market can deal with these situations with even an ounce on compassion.

I believe the free market is the best way to do many things, but health care delivery is most definitely not one of them.

Do you have Medicaid in your state, because I have been receiving Medicaid for the last 10 years .

Hi Marps, I wish you the best of luck in finding help with this. Your story so clearly demonstrates what's wrong with our system. I am type I for about 25 years and fear that I will never be able to "retire" because of the cost of health insurance and diabetic supplies. Even the cost of copays with insurance is staggering. I'm basically continuing to work full time just to keep health insurance as long as I'm healthy enough to do so.

One avenue you may want to explore is to talk to your endo or CDE about free insulin and supplies. My CDE told me on my last visit that she had just seen a man who was in the "donut hole" Medicare gap and could not afford to purchase more insulin. The man was taking 1/3 of his dose of insulin each day to try to avoid running out. The CDE said she filled out paperwork and got the doctor to sign to get him free insulin but she didn't say through what program - I don't know if it was the clinic itself providing the insulin or some other program. Her comment was how was she supposed to talk to him about target blood sugars when he couldn't even get the insulin he needs to survive.

Yet our country sends billions of dollars to other countries around the world to help people there before we help our own people. It just makes me sick to my stomach.

I think your letter is well written but I agree with the advice others have given you. Move the Type I/ Insulin dependent explanation to the beginning. Make your first paragraph a summary of your entire argument, including what you're asking for, then fill in the details in the body of the letter. Most people will skim the beginning before they decide if they want to read further. Be specific and clear as to what you want the Commissioner to do for you and bring it to the top.

I would also remove the focus on the stay at home mother aspect. Unfortunately, I think you may find a sentiment that believes that if you are able to work, then you should work. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you and tried to do the same thing when my daughter was in kindergarten, only ending up going back to work after about a year because we just couldn't afford for me to stay home.

Take care and please keep us posted on how your search for help goes.

I've posted this many times on here but you can get Humalog/Novolog in Canada for about the third of the cost of here in the US. I've ordered many times and never had a problem. Sticks is another story. I know they are expensive but I don't test often so I don't spend a lot. I also believe we may see a non invasive glucose meter without supplies being needed in the next few years.

I haven't ordered on there but Amazon has some good prices on strips, Im thinking about trying it cause I need my endo to rewrite my prescription, Im running out before its time to fill them which then leads me to having to pay out of pocket. I've seen on amazon a box of 100 one touch strips around 66 dollars. Once again not a perfect solution but in the meantime maybe a way to pinch some pennies.

I also reuse my lancets too. I've been diabetic for over 28 years and have never had a problem with doing so. Before I went on my pump I'd use the same needle for my pens as well, and change out when the pen ran out. Things get pricey even with insurance. Im very fortunate mine really pays well for supplies but I can so relate to what you are saying have been many times either just no insurance and making do the best you can, or even with insurance just short on money. It's a very hard and expensive disease to manage.

That was a good idea someone mentioned about talking to your endo or CDE sometimes there are assistance programs that way as well.

thanks! I actually called my Endo and am waiting to hear back from him.

About 8 years ago, I was rationing insulin because I couldn't afford it and didn't have insurance. I was a mess, lost 10 lbs in 2 months, A1c jumped to 10%, I was super sick. The Endo I had at the time went into the office fridge and pulled out 4 vials of insulin (which was 4 months supply at the time) and handed them to me. She said pharma companies send samples to their office for them to push to their patients, but most of the time the stuff just gets thrown out. So... essentially, she saved my life by giving me her garbage. :) Amazing.

I'm hoping my current Endo has something similar to this happening in his office.

I live in TX and my employer has the pre-existing condition exclusion on the medical policy too but it's only for 1 year. So next year, I'll be able to get my diabetic stuff covered. I got the exclusion because I went more than 180 days without insurance since i was unemployed and wasn't about to waste my small unemployment check on COBRA. I did get on medicaid though and that saved me alot of money. Children can not be excluded from medical coverage due to that pre-existing condition BS. The new medical care law prevents that.

Hey! Thanks for your response. How did you get on Medicaid? They say they are only for older people and type 2 supplies. Is that true? I didn't look into Medicaid too thoroughly because it seemed as not an option for me.

Medicaid will cover you in your state if you meet certain income requirements. HOWEVER, some states will cover a parent under SCHIP if the child is receiving CHIP coverage (CHIP being the state health insurance program for children, which every state has and has much more generous income requirements). I know the coverage of parents under SCHIP was called into question a few years ago, but some states are still doing it. If your child doesn't have insurance, she will be eligible for CHIP, and you may be eligible as well.

okay going to look at CHIP now. I think I already looked at it and they said my daughter would have to wait 2 months without insurance, which would put her in April... and I'd have to wait 6 months without insurance. I think that's the one who said that (linked through Charter Oak). But, I'll look into it right now to find out.

I just went down to the local medicaid office and applied. I had to prove my citizenship and income. But otherwise it was just filling out a few forms and a 5 minute interview. The amount of coverage you get is based on your income. Even if you have a full-time job you can still qualify. The only real drawback to using medicaid is that not everyone accepts it and one has to go to specific clinics and or hospitals (At least in TX they do).

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service