Has anyone used the new spring infusion sets? I was thinking of trying them out for my 7 year old?

Views: 163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Which pump?? Is "spring" the name?
They actually do have a pump but its not approved in the US yet. We got our daughter the Animas ping we after 3 months we really love it. What I was asking about though was Spring makes an infusion set that was approved just this year for sale in the US. Its is spring loaded inserter but also retracts really fast and is suppose to be less painful. I'm always looking for new and easier ways to manage my daughter diabetes.

Hi,

I'm using the spring infusion sets for 3 months now and I don't think I'll buy other one.

Pros:
- The integrated inserter in each infusion sets
- The tubing may turn 360 degrees around the infusion site.
- In the case the base of the infusion set detaches from the user's body, a blocking mechanism is triggered which, in turn, creates an occlusion. This evokes an occlusion alarm in an insulin pump.
- They are cheaper than regular Medtronic infusion sets, for those who don't have insurance.

Cons:
- The catheter unplug too easely from the infusion site. I woke up in the morning with a disconnected tubing from the infusion site 5-6 times in the last 3 months. This is too much for me, I cannot trust the spring after that.

If they improve the connection between the tubing and the infusion site in the future, maybe I'll try it again because of the pros I mentionned before.

I see where you are coming from with the connection. It has never come off my daughter but from day one I noticed this could be an issue so what I started to do was move the cap into a position that would make it less likely. For example, if the site is on her arm I twist the cap so the tubing points directly out from her arm. This puts the tabs up and down on the arm vs side to side on her arm. Make sense? I have provided this feedback to Spring but it would be great if they hear it from a lot of us.

I don't understand: did you already try the set on your daughter ?
The set turns 360: how does the cap stay firm?

yeah, we received a trial box in Nov and made our first order in December. My daughter really likes them as they are a lot less painful to insert. The cap does not turn 360 freely; you can snap it on in any direction.

On a side note though, if you're looking for a set that allows 360 degree rotation at the infusion site - look at the Orbit Micro. Its design allows for 360 degree rotation while its connected.

A side note: Orbit Micro line of product was bought by Ypsomed some months ago

You are right, I forgot to mention that they are less painful to insert.

Yeah, we tried them and they were great but unfortunately my daughter is allergic to the stainless steel. She broke out all over, just our luck.

I've asked the supplier for some sample infusion sets, so once I have them I'll happily let you know what I think of them. I should have them in a week or two.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service