I have found that I am great at avoiding foods I know are hard to bolus for, and also eating low-carb snacks, and generally being careful about trying to anticipate and adjust for everything (and don't mind putting in the extra time) when my blood sugars are stable, because I don't want to mess things up.

However, where I run into problems are days when I do everything right but my blood sugars don't cooperate.

Take yesterday. My blood sugars were 4.9 - 6.0 (88 to 162) all day which is great. I had no problems staying away from junk even though I have stuff like candy lying around from a recent gift. I just did not want to mess up my good streak. I think if every day was a good streak (or at least close) then I would have that attitude all the time.

Then today I woke up at 13.7 (247) for some reason. I started out trying to do things right: I corrected and waited for an hour. An hour later I was still 13.0 (234). So I changed my set and ate breakfast (it was either that or skip breakfast completely because I had things to do). I corrected the high again and bolused for breakfast and even added extra on. Two hours after breakfast I was 11.7 (211). So I corrected that and refrained from eating anything else for a few hours, even though I was hungry because I was high.

At lunch I was 7.4 (133) and happy I was finally down. I meticulously counted carbs as usual and bolused. Then I had a meeting and such so I couldn't test until three hours after lunch.

And I was 14.2 (256). And THAT is when I started to get really annoyed because I find it so frustrating when I get random highs and lows when I'm doing everything right.

I was meeting a friend at Starbucks. And I really wanted a frappuccino. And it's impossible to order a low-carb frappuccino, so I haven't had one in years. But I was like, "Well, even when I'm trying my best it's not working, so why bother?" And ordered it.

And then I looked up the carbs (after buying it), and it's 93g of carbs. So now I don't want to drink it ... but I've already bought it. I will probably not drink it, but that's such a waste of money and I shouldn't have bought it on impulse anyway ...

So, just wondering, how you keep on track when you are doing things "right" and still have crazy blood sugars? I find that's by far the hardest time, mostly because I get so frustrated that I'm putting in so much effort and getting such crappy results. I feel like then why even bother. If the outcome always equalled the effort I put in, then I'd almost never be high or low, but unfortunately that's not the case.

Views: 322

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think my problem today is that I went from having 95% of readings in range yesterday to having 95% of readings above 200 today when I changed nothing. Very frustrating. Maybe it's just the internet, but I get the impression this isn't a common occurrence for many people (at least on this site). *sigh* I've gotten to a point where I don't care about the odd reading here and there that's high (heck, I'm doing awesome if I can go an entire day without hitting 200 at some point), but it's times when I go from a day that's been great to a day that's all highs that really irks me.

I definitely am PMSing which I think also has something to do with it (both my BGs and my frustration!). :)

I didn't end up drinking the Starbucks so that is good, but I've been stuck in the 300s for hours tonight and am finally down to the high 200s. I already bumped up all my settings, changed out infusion set and insulin, but I might do that again if I'm not somewhere under 200 by bedtime.

I feel like I've wasted this entire evening to testing and correcting my BG (and drinking water ...) when I have other things I'd rather be doing.

jen you are not the only one with days like this, monday jacob ran in the 300's most of the day i thought it was post easter fat but he ran high all day, he isnt aggressive about managing things at school just a test and bolus at lunch, well he came home from school with mod-large urine ketones but only .3 blood ( weird) anyways he was due to change his pod sometimes he can run high if his resevoir is running low, his canula looked kinked the culpret! so it was a very hard day! i find if he starts the day high is can be real hard getting him down especially in the morning, if it is a weekend a walk works well, i find lower level exercise sometimes works best for helping get him down. do you exercise? have you thought of doing a temp basal increase on a high day? sometimes i hesitate to reply back to adults on here with long standing D because i obviously dont have D, but i have three years experience with jacob and the desire to help others, i hope you are having a better day today, i feel your pain with the pms thing everything is worse! you are not alone, sending you a sense of calm and acceptance today amy

Yep I do exercise most days. Yesterday I was running a +40% temp basal and I also to exercise, but exercising at 250 just feels horrible! I finally got so fed up at around 10:00 at night that I went on my bike for half an hour. I stayed up until about midnight doing corrections, and this morning woke up at 103. So who knows! Hopefully today will be better!

If it's a hormone thing, can you have a different "setting", cranking up your basal rate then? I got a new pump and one of the suggestions in the manual was to have a different "pattern" for those type of situations.

I was gonna ask too how the 10K plans are going? One thing about running is that I'm sort of inclined to think "as long as I'm running, who cares about diabetes?"

Yeah, already got the different pump settings covered. :) During those times I use basal rates that are 0.2 u/hr higher than other times, and I:C ratio and ISF are also higher. And usually I STILL run high so maybe I need to crank things up even more.

The run is on Sunday although it will probably be more of a walk or a walk-jog thing than a run. I'm signed up for the walking category although they don't care if you run, it just means the walkers start behind the runners. Should be fun! My number is 57,600-something and I registered a few months ago, so it would be cool if they break their record (60,000 people) again this year. I will be taking pictures so may post some here!

Personally...I sometimes have to just let myself go off track, have my "poor little me" moment and then get my butt back in gear once the mood has passed. The problem with T1D is there is often so much guilt. Keep in mind that someone without diabetes doesn't think twice about going into Starbucks and getting that drink. But we have to think about every single drop and morsel that passes through our lips. And sometimes, no matter how good we are, diabetes doesn't play fairly. I've had plenty of completely-unexplainable highs. It is beyond frustrating when you're high and have NO IDEA why.

So, yeah, I succumb to burnout. I'd probably have drank about half that drink, attempted to bolus for it, and then would get back on the wagon at dinner time.

Sometimes I just need an hour or two to pretend that diabetes doesn't exist.

I think this post was my "poor me" moment. I did feel better after writing it, even though I remained high the entire rest of the day. I did end up drinking about half the drink (divided into two "snacks") and tossed the rest.

we all have those poor me days! and it always feels better to share,( i wish my son would, only to me, somedays i get a bit tired of it and say we cant do therapy today!, i wish he would vent to others but still glad he shares with me rather than holding it all in) so never hesitate to vent because we can all relate, glad things started better today! amy

I also can totally relate to how you are feeling. Random highs are mentally hard whether you can sleuth out the reason or not. I also have a higher temp basal preprogrammed to adjust for monthly hormone changes. I won't change anything about my daily routine but I will stay in the 200's without budging. It's a hormone thing. But, some months it will only last one day other months almost a week. Then once I get my cycle, I bottom out and run ridiculously low for days. It is frustrating dealing with the highs and I get nervous waiting for the lows. My most strangest random high is this: sometimes after the kids' go to bed my husband and I will watch a movie. If the movie is super scary and I get sad, anxious or freaked out my blood sugars will jump into the 250-280 range. Then I am stuck at night not wanting to be very aggressive in correcting it before I go to bed. So, we only watch funny movies at night. :)

my son can have this reaction to, esp at the movies the first time was a shocker it goes along with the adrenaline rush thing, we've been told to not over treat that type of a high, maybe watch the movie have a little bit of a snack with a bolus so you have some extra circulating insulin on board, this is what we tend to do if we go to a movie ( which is rare) and this works better, best wishes! amy

I'm had this type of thing happen with things like job interviews or really stressful tests. It's hard because it's a sharp rise followed by a sharp fall if I correct too much (once it's over) ...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service