Hi guys just wondering if i could get some advice and opinions.
I was diagnosed type 1 mid jan this year. This past week i have been having trouble maintaining control. I developed a nice steady rythem of 1 unit bolus (novarapid) to cover breakfast, lunch and dinner, with 7 units lantus. All this kept my bloods between 4-6mmols.
Im under a slight bit of stress at the moment and my blood is all over the place. Monday i woke up at 8mmols which is just out of the blue. No diet variation or anything, i actually eat routinely the same thing every day. 2 hours after breakfast i was 11 mmols?! The next day i had good control until night time when i had my chicken and salad meal. Shot up to 9mmols when a bolus always brings me below 6. This morning i got up and my fasting was 5.9 which isnt too bad, but 1 unit with my oats and 2 hours later im 8mmols.
It seems that sometimes 1 unit covers me, other times it doesnt. Would the added stress im under contribute a bit to this or is this a sign of the honeymoon ending? Its annoying that my readings can actually drop 1mmol within 5 minutes. Should i try cover with 1.5units or 2 units? Thanks :)

Views: 143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd suggest that instead of 30G w/o insulin before you exercise, maybe 10G to start out with and another 10G every 30-45 minutes or so? I usually just have maybe 2/3 of a cup of skim milk for 25-30 minutes of running but I don't usually eat more before if I'm going farther, I kind of keep an eye on my BG and see where it's at like 2-3 miles into it and try to keep it balanced in the low 100s as I chug along, if it spikes, I just skip the snack and run a bit more and it will usually wear off but, with less carbs, the spikes aren't as severe and are more easily controlled I think?

I also wouldn't get too excited about "finding a set dose" as my doses always shift, 27 years into it. Oops, it's 28 now I think or just about?

your doses still shift? I thought, sickness etc aside, they stabilise a bit! bummer !

Yeah, they do stabilize a bit, or more to the point, they don't fluctuate as wildly as they do during the honeymoon.

They still show trends according to all kinds of variables that are predictable, more or less. For my pump, I have a couple of different basal programs depending upon the situation or site, and I'll still program in a temp basal if necessary. Bolusing is more predictable, but it still feels like a crap shoot on some days.

Yes, unfortunately, timmy, FHS is correct. I'm the same way, I tweak my basals (though that is, easier to do with a pump) but my I:C ratios stay pretty stable for long periods of time. Which, however, doesn't mean I don't have periods of being too high or low; I do and they seem to come in clusters for me followed by periods of stability. You do seem a bit set on the "fixed dose" idea - increasing from 1 unit to 1 1/2 for your bolus. It's funny I did that at the start too because the only endo I ever saw said "1 to 3 units with meals). Gerri was the one who explained it was more complicated than that and encouraged me to learn about I:C ratios. If nothing else, it allows for more variation in what you eat.

Yup. I had some weird shifts going into the marathon, like a month before the race, DP went *NUTSO* and I turned my early AM "bump" up 50%. Usually, an adjustment of .05U/hr-.10U/ hour will "cover" a change, whether more or less. At that time, I'd just done the biggest running week I'd ever done (PR 1/2 on Sunday, 20 miles 3:10 on the following Saturday...) and my AM BGs where through the roof! It took a couple of weeks to get it hammered out w/ a huge bump *and* I was really apprehensive that cranking tons of insulin would lead to some sort of race day disaster. It didn't although the race didn't go as well as I'd have liked as I ran too fast out of the gate, perhaps overconfident? I still beat the pregnant lady though...hee hee...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

The Newest Member of the DHF Team

Hi there! My name is Desiree Johnson and I’m the new addition to the DHF family! There is so much I want to share about my first few days at the office, but I’ll keep it short. The DHF team Read on! →

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service