Stuck in the Mountains With No Infusion Sets or Reservoirs.

For the first time in 5 years as a Diabetic, I have made a costly mistake, and I have to try to figure out an innovative way to correct it. I drove to the mountains of north Georgia yesterday with a couple friends to attend a Bible Seminar. I got up this morning and went through my usual Diabetic routine, and suddenly, like someone hit me in the head with a hammer, I realized I brought everything but an infusion set and a reservoir. My pump is warning LOW RESERVOIR as we speak. I go home tomorrow, but it will be tomorrow evening before I get home. If I were in my truck, I keep spare parts in my glove box for just such a time as this. Now I can remove the top off my insulin bottle where I can poor it into the reservoir, but to do that I'm going to have pull the plunger out the bottom of the reservoir. Then I could poor the insulin into the reservoir, and then put the plunger back in. Will it work? That's the only thing I know to do. I'm miles from a Pharmacy where I could maybe get some syringes. I cannot believe I did this. How do you forget the one thing you can't do without? Any ideas?

Tags: Forgot, Infusion, Reservoirs, Sets, Supplies

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Bobby! So glad that you are home and OK.

I have to report though that I bought one of those 50 dollars cases and it is nice, but I actually found that a cheap cosmetic case works better.

I use the quickset infusion set and those don't fit nicely in that case (makes it really bulky in one place). I have a little 10 by 4 inch cosmetic case that it like a soft box and I fit all my pump supplies for a few days in that. If i will be gone for more than a week, then I use the nicer (Frio) case.

I highly highly recommend Frio pump wallets. But you might want to check out cosmetic cases to see if there is anything to match you liking :)

[Sorry-- this became a consumer report!! Most importantly, glad that you are OK!]
I am glad you got home safely.

Rick
He's already home.
Bobby, I'm so glad you got home safely. I know how awful that feeling is when you look down and realize you don't have enough insulin in your pump or you forgot your pump supplies, blood tester, whatever! It's like a bad dream. I really think God was with you..pretty ingenious to do what you did and make it through w/o any problems.
hi bobby, you definitely had a guardian angel hanging out on your shoulder. glad to have you back home.
aren't those learning mistakes the pits? but we do learn and most of us never make the same mistake twice.
i am so happy that you are ok.
I won't say never.... but I'm not as likely to forget my stuff next time. I have to get a cooler case. Sort of defeats the purpose when I take everything but Infusion Sets and Reservoirs. Doh! Talk about feeling like a Dufus. I'm just grateful the old Reservoir didn't leak, and the Infusion site didn't get infected. I said I would give God the credit if I made it through this unscathed, I don't believe in luck, or happenstance, but I do believe God deserves the credit.
Thanks again to everyone for your support. I am so proud to be part of this family. The concern you show is genuine, which makes me feel even more like a heel. But... I have learned from the school of hard knocks all my life--it seems to be the best teacher. However, I have to reiterate; Do not try this at home! Just kidding, I know most of you wouldn't be so foolish, but you never know when it might be your turn. And even though I got to attend the whole seminar, there was always this sense of forboding, sort of preoccupied with, "Is the Reservoir leaking back into the pump" and "Is the Infusion site OK?" But, enough of this. It's over and done now, and I learned a very valuable lesson. Thanks again, every one of you. Have a great day!
Congrats and welcome back home safely! God Blessed you immensely!,,,,Now you can destroy that tape!,,,,The one that says,,,,,,THIS IS YOUR MISSION IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO SO!,,,lol We all luv ya guy!
We recently went to NYC for a weekend of fun and I forgot my insulin. I know well that feeling of "should I stay or should I go now". Bobby, you have no idea how much we love you, and how much you help us here!
You guys are all incredible!!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service