Stupidest thing you've done with your infusion set/insulin pump

I'm such an idiot. Today, I was trying to insert a new Sillouette set, and like a dork, I forgot to take off the needle cover. I would have been trying to insert this sucker for a good half hour with this thing on had the medtronic rep not reminded me to take it off. I called because I wasn't sure what the fixed prime for this set was.

So, am I alone in being a total dunce and having a scratched up tummy, or has anyone done something equally as stupid?

Views: 587

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I met a really good friend on a bike ride a couple of years ago.
I was riding down a hill at about 40 mph when I heard a clanking noise. I was going too fast to worry about it at the time, when I heard a voice behind me say "is that an insulin pump bounding off of your rear wheel?"
His father had just started on a pump the day before and it was the only other pump he'd ever seen.
It had fallen out of my bike shorts where I often tuck it when i ride and the cannula was the only thing keeping it together - needless to say the cannula was hopelessly mangled. If it hadn't been for my new friend, more damage would have been done, since I was ignoring the noise.
and we rode the rest of the 35 miles or so together, found out we lived in the same city... and we've been friends ever since.
I now wear the pump in a zippered pocket when I ride.
So how many of you have done the infamous Pump Drop.. you forget your pump is clipped on or in your pocket and you drop trou in the loo... and the pump comes off and hits the floor as you feel the tug of it coming off or out of your pocket.. usually the Skin-Tac will keep the set on though!
I actually use the 43" tubing for this purpose now - I can leave it on my belt and it's fine!
Only problem is i tend to snag the slack, even when putting the slack tubing in my pocket.. Also it makes it easier to sleep with the 43 esp if your a toss and turn type sleeper.
Mine doesn't compare to half of these, but i've only had my Omnipod for about a week and a half.

Suspended my pump because i was low, and didn't have any immdiet access to juice. (I was on the bus on my way home). A 40 minute trip, so i figured "suspend the pump and set the reminder for an hour". Got home, got a ham sandwich, went to my room and started listening to music. 4 hours later or so, i'm wondering why i feel so horrible, pause my music, and hear my pod beeping at me cause it was still suspended... check my sugar, and that ham sandwich had thrown my sugar up to 550... i had to adjust the maximum bolus setting to take enough insulin for that... wasn't a fun day.

Then there was the time i was slightly low (95 with .7 units still working on me). Went to set a temporary basal to -40%, and accidentally set it to +40%... ended up having to take almost every glucose tab i had with me on the way home that day.

Then there was the time that i stuck the pod on me before i put the insulin in it...
Tip: Instead of suspend... Temporary Basal for 0%... and set the time for the period youd like to be suspended. this way you will never forget to restart your basal and it will automatically resume in (the time you set the TBR for)
Thanks! I didn't know that went all the way down to zero. I'll do that next time :D
I have done everything.. Left the needle in the infusion set and walked around for an hour like that. Had the tubing caught on the door nob and ripped the infusion set out.. Forgot the pump said it had a low reservoir and ran out of insulin and BS went high. Left an old infusion site in and discovered it later..

Forgot to connect the pump after taking a shower and it is beeping in the bathroom and my husband find it..

You name it, I have done it..
Hey, Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm 60 years old and I can say that we are all idiots, losers. Just keep your humor and join the club. And be proud! Look at me, do I look like a winner?

Sid
I've done the same thing a few too! I have also changed my set and insulin and then forgotten to set my temp basal.
What an awsome thread. Laura, I think that we have all done this before. I know I have! I've also forgotten to remove adhesive tabs. I've filled my cannula with more then what I've needed (hazard of using more then one inset type LOL).....hhhhmmm what else....basically, we all do "stupid" things.

Thanks for the laugh!
my stupidest was a doozy - and i'm so lucky to be alive. i've had diabetes for 52 years and have worn a pump since 1983, when i was part of a university study researching women who'd had diabetes for over 25 years to follow their pregnancy with the pump. (i was one of the lucky ones; i had a "positive outcome" and a 10.3 oz baby boy. they took him a month early. lord knows how big he would have been if he had "cooked" for another month.) the pump was a life changer for me! but, during the summer of 2004, i contracted a really bad stomach virus. very bad stuff. so, i took a phenergan suppository (the only med that will work for me for stomach flu) and the suppository knocked me out. but my pump needed changing out. stupid, stupid me - i, in my dizzy, med drunken state, changed out my pump and somehow kinked the canula. thank the spirits, my college age son decided to surprize me and come home that weekend. he found me on the couch, passed out - and totally naked. (i tend to take all my clothes off if my BS is too high or too low.) he called my best friend to come and dress me (19 year old boys are way tooooo embarrased to see their monther naked, much less to put on her panties....) and to help him get me to the hospital (they should have called 911 - but, hey, they did the best they could. at the emergency room my blood sugar was 1115 - yep, over a thousand. the doctor called my son in to say "goodbye" to me. i was expected to die. i was in intensive care for 5 days - where i had a heart attack (of you're gonna have one, intensive care is THE place to be...) in the regular hospital for 4 more days. object of this story? be fully cognizant BEFORE you change out your pump!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service