Sudden Decrease in Insulin Requirements- What is going on?

Hi- I am new here and hope I can get some insight from others...
I am a Type 1 and wear a pump. Every few months there are a couple of days where I have extreme difficulty keeping my blood sugars UP. I'm not changing basal rates...diet...activity or stacking. I've reached out to my Endo who hasn't been much help. She checked my thyroid level (I have hashimoto's thryoiditis) and they came back normal. In fact...even though I have the dx of hashimoto's every time I've had my levels checked they've come back okay. The only advice I get is to reduce my basal rates. I think that's a band-aid. My difficulity is...during this time my body reacts so differently to insulin that it's really difficult to know how much to reduce my basals and boluses. I'm almost guessing.
Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas? Thanks very much!!!

Views: 1408

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Glad you're okay. Low blood sugars are scary. My lowest has been 35 and luckily my husband was able to help me. So many things go into low bs but when I called the Endo on Monday her nurse told me to make sure I'm eating protein with every meal. She ended the conversation with "protein...protein...protein." I powered down some cheese after that :-)
I see my Endo on the 26th , I'll let you know what he says.
Isn't this normal that things change unpredictably.
I'm sure it is. Like I said everything and anything can effect it.
I've been diabetic a long time and have experienced fluctuations but never like this (with the exception of my honeymoon). On Friday everything was great...basals and boluses (I:C) were working and then Saturday everything changed and I had constant hypoglycemia. I had to make major changes and now today...I am back to where I was on Friday. I'm back to my old basals/boluses. Like I said this happens for a few days every 3 months or so.
It took me a few years to figure out my BG rises about 4 days before my period starts, then goes back to normal. So now I just change to a basal rate about 20% higher. I have read that a lot of women experience the opposite-higher BG readings. Maybe that could be it?
It certainly could be. I need to do a better job of tracking that along with my bs.
I just had this happen last month. I have been on lantus for 4 years and last month I started going low every morning until the point I was in the ER in a coma. What the endo thinks has happened is my metabolism has sped up. This could be from getting in better shape, losing weight or toning up a bit. I had to lower the lantus by a third over the last month to keep it from happening again. I have been a D for 28 years and that was the first time since I was adult that I actually had to lower the insulin dose by that much.
I think you are the perfect candidate for research. Scientists like Dr. Faustman argue (see video) that patients exist where there is a balance between Beta cells regrow and destruction. She is working on a treatment to stop the destructive behaviour of the immune system. In mice they have the proof that by stopping the immune reaction the beta cells will recover to a certain degree. From what you describe it is possible that your body manages to grow beta cells at a faster rate than they are destroyed. Then after a while the immune system manages to kill them off and a new cycle starts. This is just a theory but I think you should contact the Faustman labs for helping their research.
I am a donor to Dr.Faustman's research every year, Holger, (Thanks so much!!) and I was not aware of this take on her research, that beta cells can grow faster than they are destroyed. I am certainly aware of the fluctuations:. I am also going through a somewhat significant reduction in basals and correction factors. I just treating a rising from bed morning 45 , and I am 56 years old have been type one for 43 yearsand pumping for 8 years, I too have times where I cannot figure out the sudden lows. I ma grateful not to have to take so much insulin: that expensive Apidra lasts So much longer when I am only taking .50 units an hour.. but I do not know WHEN I have to bump it back up to .70..The Cgm really helps with that.. I will have to get back on my logging..Hang in there..
Chelly Belly... I will ask Dr. Faustman about her take on that in July, if she is in the office during my visit. She is engaing, informative and a genuis....

God Bless,
Brunetta
The female hormonal cycle can cause this. Also, as the weather warms up some people need less insulin. We turn my daughter's pump down by 5 or 10% when she has days like this by setting a temporary basal.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service