Hey,

I just recently got the omnipod and so far it been great! Before i was just on shots and never paid attention to carbs or doing any kind of carb counting. Just making sure there was no sugar.

Anyways, when i was going through the training my CDE kept like mentioning scenarios that could happen. For example, he was saying say that my friend gave me a big chocolate chip cookie or maybe some ice cream... you would find the carbs and enter it.

So, my question is... Do i not really need to pay attention to the sugar now? Just the carbs? I doubt thats right, but im curious why he kept mentioning sugar loaded foods...

Thanks!

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i only count carbs. so, even though a lot of people try to stay away from "sugar"... it's carbs in general that you need to be aware of. so, if a friend were to give you icecream... look on the back of the icecream container. chances are, for 1/2 cup, it'll be about 19 grams of carbs. however, it could be more depending on what type. so, basically. if you decided to eat 2 scoops (about 1/2 cup each scoop, so 1 cup)... put into the Omnipod PDM that you're eating about 38-40 carbs.
sugar turns into carbs... if u look at food lables u will notice that under the word carbohydrates (carbs) the word sugar is indented and greyed out and usually either the same amount as the carbohydrates or a few grams less... this is bc sugar turns into carbohydrates....
or mabe its the other way around, idk all i know is basically they r bout the same... lol
On the food label your sugars will be a sub category under "Total Carbs". They all turn into glucose so count total carbs.

I did not count carbs until I got on the pod as well. I could kick myself for not doing this while I was doing MDI.
Thanks everyone for all the replies!
Total carbs less fiber when it's a high fiber food.
Sugar is a carb. Lots of things contain carbs. So with a pump you count your carbs, whether those carbs are Pez candy or pasta :-)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service