Cameron has to have his tonsils and adenoids removed. I know this is a simple procedure for non-diabetics, but don't know what to expect for him. He will be inpatient I know. What are they going to do about his food and bloodsugar? How do they monitor this, and how do I once he comes home? I am sure this is why they are doing it at the Children's Medical Center, but I just need to know what to expect. I will be the first to admit that I am the paranoid parent, and my mind is in overdrive right now. He has to have it done though, he has has strep six times since April now!

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It sounds like they are set to take care of him and I hope that helps the sore throats!

I had outpatient surgery that was ok, I think they got me into the hospital early as my dad had the same procedure and "Scheduling Triage" didn't get him in until like 5:00 PM but I was in around 10:30 or 11:00 AM. I have always found hospital food to suck. The last time I had a hypo that ended up in the ER, I had a CGM (long story...) and was watching it and elected to just have a few sips of the QUART of OJ they gave me and just ate and bolused for the chips because I wanted to get back to normal. I didn't tell the doc I bolused but they'd checked my blood sugar and I figured it would work out ok. I saved the Sprite for junior and told the doc "I don't eat chicken salad" as I'm not a fan. She walked away and discharged me against medical advice or whatever but I still had decently elevated bg and didn't need all that food. I know ice cream is the standard for tonsils so count the carbs. Maybe ask them if they have the nutrition information as I've seen different ice creams with different amounts of carbs, +/- 5-10G of carbs?

I thought it was standard procedure to keep young diabetics. I work at a hospital, and what you are saying is so true. They tried to discharge a friend of mine AMA because the doctor felt she was questioning her authority. That is ridiculous. She called me, and I told her not to sign the form, or at least comment on it. In the future, if that happens comment on the form, that way if something happens your family has documentation that you were pretty much forced out. He was saying ice cream, and has already told me I will probably have to work with his numbers. I was also told by a doctor at my church to sign a waiver and take control of his insulin while he is there, because all hospitals have a standard scale for diabetes that they follow.

I think that the hospitals standards are likely quite a bit lower than yours too. I was very relieved not to have to stay over there but w/ tonsils and a kid, I'm sure he'll be stuck with it. I agree with the doctor from church that you should just run the insulin while you are there. No break for mom but I would think that you'd do a ***much*** better job!

I'm 44 so I wouldn't qualify as "young" in anyone's book. I had an umbilical hernia repaired. It was supposed to be arthroscopic but, as the scar is 5" long, apparently it was more involved than the doc planned but it worked out ok and I was still able to escape. I'm not sure about the medical forms and authority and all that, I usually will sign just about anything to get out of the hospital once I wake up there!

i'm having inpatient surgery soon too. have you had a pre-op appointment yet, met with the anesthesiologist..you should have an appointment for this and they will go over everything. they typically take diabetic patients first thing for surgery and your endocrinologist should be involved too to advise anesthesiologist on what insulins to administer, they monitor while in hopsital and recovery.

Yes I have had several outpatient surgeries while diabetic and they have all went off well. Its not unusal for BG to run a little higher following surgery, it is a stressful experience on the body, however they WILL monitor his BG frequently during surgery and make adjustments as necessary. Your surgeon, anesthesiologist, and your endocrinologist should all be consulted about how to best manage your BG during this time. Generally I think they do short of an emergency situation try their best to get diabetics in as early as possible for surgery.

6:20 a.m. He has been through so much. I will say he is a trooper. I was complaining that everything seems to happen to him. He hugged me and with a big smile said, "Well mommy, at least I haven't broken anything like Dontae and Trent." He sees the good when I can't.

They had to schedule the surgery around the endocrinologist's schedule. I think they want his pediatrician there. I was just thinking it would be an outpatient like other kids. As a mother of a diabetic, I have learned that nothing is like other kids! I hate hospitals, and 48- 72 hours for him is 48- 72 hours for me!

Steroids are a common post operation treatment and the way mess up BG. Talk with your physicians. Having had bad experiences with them prior we wouldn't allow my son to be given steroids after an appendectomy. It was not an easy or popular choice with the docs but we stuck to it.

We also did not let them change the insulin program and used his pump with his insulin rather than switching to regular and their 'sliding scale.' In large part because they didn't define the amounts or the scale. Again this was not popular with the doctors and I had to sign a bunch of papers declining their administration of insulin. We kept a running BG long on a white board in the room. Make entries about every 2 hrs. The nurses came around fast and by the time he was released the dr that was the most vocal about our choice said he had better BG management because of it.

Your Diabbetes May Vary.

steroids aren't really a common post op treatement, antibiotics are, of course, to ward of infection. a doubt a child would be given steroids for tonsil surgery.

I guess it all depends on what surgery you have. But I agree steroids are not a common post op treatment, and most likely wouldn't be given for a tonsilectomy. Antibiotics and pain medication will probably be the only additional medications given to your child following his surgery.

That is what I need to know! I wasn't aware of the steroid use. His endocrinologist will be there, and is very anti- steroids. As I stated earlier, a doctor at church told me to sign the waiver and control his insulin myself. She says they have a set standard for ALL diabetics, and it won't match with mine.

well, of course you're worried..that's your boy. I was told the same thing, sliding scale on insulin while inpatient. But, great that his team will be with him...he'll be just fine..sounds like he's a trooper! Good luck and good thoughts to you and your son! :)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service