Cameron has to have his tonsils and adenoids removed. I know this is a simple procedure for non-diabetics, but don't know what to expect for him. He will be inpatient I know. What are they going to do about his food and bloodsugar? How do they monitor this, and how do I once he comes home? I am sure this is why they are doing it at the Children's Medical Center, but I just need to know what to expect. I will be the first to admit that I am the paranoid parent, and my mind is in overdrive right now. He has to have it done though, he has has strep six times since April now!

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well maybe steroids is a YDMV thing and we have just had bad luck. They gave them to our son after wisdom teeth out (even with our request that they do not) and were very much anxious to use them after appendectomy to speed healing. I would enlist the endo's help in consideration of steroids value in healing vs havoc to glycemic control in the post op environment.

I loved the sliding scale bit, I here an approximation of our conversation:

Me "Can I see the scale of how many units to what BG?"

Dr, "Well ahh, err, um... it depends on the BG. We will watch it carefully."

Me, "How often and how do you adjust the scale to his insulin sensitivity?"

Dr, "Hurmph." as if to make it clear they were Doctors and I was an idiot.

I strongly agree with those who have urged you to submit whatever paperwork needed to control your son's insulin yourself. Everyones experience varies depending on the hospital although I would imagine that a Children's Hospital has much experience with Type 1.

My experience with outpatient surgeries has been a piece of cake because you don't stay overnight. My inpatient recovery was a different story. The surgery went fine so I wouldn't worry about that part - they will monitor him closely. I was in ICU overnight and that was fine also - they monitored closely - I would drift in and out on pain meds as they pricked my finger.

But the sliding scale they used for me on the general surgery floor did not work for me. I gave them my dosing but they did not use it. I ended up needing a glucagon shot one night and convinced the night nurse the next night to change my dose based on my instruction. At mealtime my mom could not get a nurse to come give me insulin so I pulled out my own kit.

Your son will be fine because he'll have you there to advocate for him. But I would get approval to manage his insulin for him because it will be alot easier than trying to manage someone else giving him this care. You're the expert when it comes to his care because you live it 24/7.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service