has any body taken a shot in public and somebody make a weird face or says something?

well tell me i bet you all have a funny one!!!

Tags: shooting, shot, up

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am tempted to do that during the Hallelujah Chorus!  Happy Christmas!

When on MDI I used to get looks all of the time, despite my best effort to inject inconspicuously.  I didn't care though. If they asked, I used it an opportunity to educate.   

When I was on my way to college, driving up for the first time to check out the campus with my dad, we stopped in a small town restaurant. I went into the ladies room and took a shot - through my shirt sleeve in the upper arm. As I was coming out, a woman that I hadn't even noticed ran out ahead of me frantically flagging down a waitress "that girl is shooting up in the restroom!!!!". But, when she turned around, she couldn't identify me sitting in the booth across from my dad right by her - she hadn't actually looked at me.

that was 20 years ago. Ever since then, I just take a shot wherever/whenever, I don't try to hide or go into restrooms or anything, and I've never had anyone say anything or show any sign that they noticed. I usually shoot in my leg right through my pants, though.

haha at school i did that in art class because the nurses office was across campus, and some people were making funny faces at me. my friend alyssa looked at them back and said "she's shooting up. you got a problem with that?"

I have sometimes.  I usually wait until there is no one looking - just after ordering.  And just under the table cloth.  I am pretty good at doing it without looking, except for dialling up.  And as they look like pens, nobody seems to have batted an eyelid as far as I know.  That way I am finished before the food arrives and no-one knows a thing.

I have had more trouble dealing with hypos - what are you eating that for, you will get fat?  Or, that one is coming off something, look at her sweating.  That is disgusting.  Yes, I am coming off something, SUGAR!!!  The staff of my local supermarket are used to seeing me eating as I go round, have come too finding an open box of sugar lumps in my hand at the checkout, or drunk 3 bottles of water when I am high, but they are very understanding, unless they are new.

I did get into trouble in a country restaurant in Latvia.  I did not realise that the toilets were unisex, nor did I realise that the lock was not working.  I was giving a bolus when a gentleman walked in, and he went white when he registered what was going on and backed out swiftly and told the staff that there was someone shooting up in the toilet.  And then had a stiff drink.

The village is so small and everyone knows everyone there that the staff were able to reassure him that I was not doing anything illegal.

I agree, the last place that I want to inject myself is in a bathroom.  I usually do it at the table and just turn myself so that I face away from people.  The only time I made exceptions was on first dates.

In the 12 years of MDI that preceded the pump, I honestly never had anyone I DIDN'T know so much as blink at me.  I have had one or two friends ask why I don't use the bathroom, but that is usually quickly dealt with by explaining that aerosolized poop does not improve insulin activity...

i agree I do not enjoy doing it in the bathroom!  But sometimes it is a necessity.  My incident with a man in the toilet was at the beginning of my insulin dependent career and i am much less shy about it now, but i do respect the feelings for other, non-diabetic people so do not do it drawing attention.  I do tend to wait until i am alone, turn my hearing aids on in case of approaching people and get on with it.  it is a faff though, having to deal with small bits, ie needle, needle cover, needle caps - I have often lost all three!  One minute they are there, the next minute they are not!  I do not have a great deal of manual dexterity when it comes to small parts!

A friend and I were sitting outside of a coffee place at a table that was up against a window. I had to inject, and did that in my arm, almost right up against the window.

I'm not sure why I didn't see him earlier, but when I was done, we noticed a guy sitting at a table right there on the other side of the window. He was literally inches away from us and saw the whole thing. He seemed surprised, but not especially freaked out or judgmental.

I do it all the time and I wish someone would say something to me. 

Go, ahead I dare you.

i love "shooting up" in the middle of my school cafetaria; i love all the stares

I always had an R syringe and an N syringe and would put duct tape on the R syringe to tell them apart easily, in the dark, in bars, etc.  Once we had played a show, made like $50 and went to blow it at Dennys at 2:00 AM, I figured 'mmm, cheeseburger' but, my BG was a shade high so I figured about 6U IV would cover it and went to fire away and the drummer was not a shot person, went pale and sort of wobbled which prompted the bass player, a psychiatrist to make fun of him.  I have run into a few non-shot people who did not respond well but they sort of knew what they were getting into? 

In line for roller coasters is another good place to bolus...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service