Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Your story is an inspiration as we go into a new year, showing us that the daily grind is really worth it.  So Happy New Year!
Congrats Johnben.  You deserve the medal because you have lived through many tough times and have still come out a winner!  I will be looking forward to hearing some more of your stories.  I wish it was possible for you to write a book with all of your wonderful stories in it.  Stay strong my friend.

Hey Medal Boy!!  :D  Congratulations on your 50th year with the D and on receiving your Well-deserved Honour.  Thank you for sharing your photo, taken while wearing your medal.  It shows the true size plus you and it both look Grand. :) You have survived many years of unbelievable and Life-threatening situations and have emerged from it while still chuckling.  We value you John.  :)   Wishing you many more Good years. Happy New Years 2011!!

Thank you, Thank you so very much!

JB.

Big congratulations Johnben, What an accomplishment. My mother would have been eligible for one, she passed at 63, and I don't know how my father would react to me trying to nominate her for one after her death. I am going to start asking my aunts and uncles to try and collect info about her and me, I was D'xed in 1969, although I have no idea at which hospital or the actual date, those items are long gone from my families achives.

Congrats again, you are an inspiration to us all!

Congratulations! Your medal is an inspiration. Eric has only 48 years to go before he ties you. I might even live to see it! (Note to self: you need to make at least 92 if you want to see this...)
What is the medal boy?
If you survive 50 years of diabetes, the Joslin Foundation gives you a cool medal, like the one John has, b/c you are amazing!  I am a bit leery of it b/c I don't know exactly what date I was dx'ed however I still have 20 some odd years to figure it out?  I dunno how strict they are or whatever either.  Something to aspire to though! 
Many T1 diabetics do not have the proof of the date of diagnosis, after 50 years have passed. hospitals will noy have kept records for that long. The hospital that admitted me in 1945 keeps records for only 10 years. When I applied for my medal in 2009, I had been T1 for 63 years. My parents had died and I had no proof. The staff at Joslin told me that I could have 2 or 3 people who knew me well back then, write a letter telling what they remembered about my diabetes after my diagnosis. My sister and a cousin wrote letters, and I submitted them along with my application. I received my medal shortly thereafter. I helped John Ben apply for his medal, and he had friends or relatives write letters for him.
Thanks for the info Richard!  Of course, if you are diabetic, you have to have *everything* logged, recorded, submitted, reviewed, etc.! LOL!
Thanks Richard, I have the problem verifying my diagnosed date. My 2 year old sister was the only one of my family that went to the hospital with D and we got her records from 1960 just this week. I was diagnosed shortly after and then my other sister a few months after me, but since the whole family was already taking care of my toddler sister we knew what to do. Our family doc just came to the house (doctors used to make house calls) and said "my last blood test showed I was D too, just start me on the same insulin, meals, and urine testing routines". I never even missed a day of school.

And especially congratulations to you Johnben,
and you too Richard for your many insites and experience,
Franco
Hurrah! Congrats!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service