The Meter Took Power from the Doctor & Gave It to the Patient

Article in Diabetes Daily

5/2/2012

The development of home blood sugar checking in the 70s kicked off the diabetes treatment revolution. For the prior 50 years, people managed diabetes with only a vague (and often inaccurate) sense of what their blood sugar might be. There was no concept of matching insulin to meals. You took your treatment, cut out the sugar, and chowed down on carbs all day.

But as Ellen Kirk-Macri, the top nurse at London Drugs, said: ”The meter took power from the doctor and gave it to the patient.”
The Home Blood Sugar Testing Revolution

We can thank Dr. Bernstein, famous for his promotion of a very low-carb diet, for changing this paradigm. In 1969, when when he was still Mr. Bernstein, he procured a three pound, $650 meter for doctors and began checking his blood sugar at home. He slowly began to uncover the connection between the carbohydrates he ate and his blood sugars. Like a man trapped in a cave seeing light for the first time, he was stunned by the new-found opportunity to achieve normal blood sugars. He became driven to bring this knowledge to the world.  Read more...

Tags: Sanofi, cell phone glucometer, glucometer, iBG, iBG Star, ibgstar, technology

Views: 272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The meter cost $99 and can be used without an iPhone. If I hook up a $40 OneTouch to a $600 laptop does that mean I paid $640 for a meter?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H8974?WT.mc_id=BGWB002

When iBGStar® is directly connected to an iPhone® or iPod touch® and used with the iBGStar® Diabetes Manager App, blood glucose results are presented on the Multi-Touch display quickly after monitoring.

iBGStar® can also be used independently to measure blood glucose levels; results can be synchronized later to an iPhone® or iPod touch®.

The iBGStar® Diabetes Manager App has a range of features and multiple views for analyzing glucose patterns on-the-go. Visual graphs and statistics can help people record and track their readings, carbohydrate intake, insulin doses (if taking insulin) and more. Color-coded scorecards show individual monitoring results for easy identification of high or low blood glucose levels. A ‘share’ function allows specific data to be sent via e-mail to caregivers and/or healthcare teams. The iBGStar® Diabetes Manager App is available for free from the App Store on iPhone® and iPod touch® or at www.itunes.com/appstore .

Nothing here for me to complain about. I'm an iPhone and Mac user who up until now had one option only.

Thanks for sharing this Emily. What a great quote! Wish the IBGStar were available for android.

I know. I asked about that and there's no such plan :(

I spent the last 7 years wishing ANY of the available diabetes software or meters worked with Mac OS. It's interesting now we have an excellent product that is Apple only.

You can use the web based software at medtronics web site. I have a mac and I have no problems with it. It downloads my pump and my meters with no wires. Gives graphs etc. The funny thing with that meter is that you don't need the phone, I can do that with my current meters. Now if they can come up with an AP that can measure Glucose with no need to add something to it, well I'll buy one even if it is $600.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service