The results are in for my C-peptide and IgG, and I am very pleased!
(Please see my previous discussions for a long narrative on why I had these tests run.)

The C-peptide was 3.8 (reference 1.1-4.4)
GAD65 was 0.00 (reference <0.02)
IgG was <1:4 (reference <1:4)

So, if I am reading this correctly, I have no antibodies to suggest an autoimmune attack on my pancreas, correct?

As far as the C-peptide, I am assuming this means I am making adequate insulin on my own. I know this particular test is not the most accurate in the world, but it does tell me that I make at least some of my own insulin, right? Since it is in the normal range, I am wondering if that means I have a lot of insulin resistance?

By the way, this test was not fasting, I had eaten some oatmeal about 2 hours before the test.
My medications are 1,000 mg of Metformin daily, 1.8 mg Victoza nightly, and 32 units of Lantus nightly. Not sure how any of the above factors would have affected the test results.

Views: 529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, the way we left it, I was going to see what the results were and she told me if I wanted her to refer me to an endo, she would be glad to. I think I am going to go back to the diabetes clinic one more time and see how it goes. I say this because my numbers are good right now and I am feeling so much better. I am going to see what they have to say and then take it from there. I am wondering if an endo would even want to see me since I don't have type 1?

One thing is for certain....I definitely want to see a doctor this next time instead of the nurse. I don't mind seeing her occasionally, but I am going to insist that I speak with the doctor this time.
I don't think there's any reason why an endo wouldn't see you just because you're type 2, especially because you are on insulin. If you decide though to stick with the PCP, I would either insist on seeing the doctor or switch to another one who will see you each time. I somehow doubt they are billing your insurance less because a nurse sees you. If the nurse is a Nurse Practitioner or Physicians Assistant that is better but a regular RN is not ok. I used to see a NP and I liked her because she had a fair amount of knowledge but also had a "bedside manner" as well which can be hard to find in doctors.
OK, I remember that part now, but I was more surprised that you would go back to the old place. Hopefully, you won't see that nurse - she was definitely an idiot!

I agree with Zoe, there is no reason that an endo wouldn't see you. There may be some out there that won't see T2 patients, but they are probably in the minority.
Kelly and Zoe, the nurse I saw was a Nurse practitioner, and maybe it was just the sucky bedside manner that got to me, LOL.

I already have an appointment to see them, so I'll go ahead and go. Oh and by the way, they had asked me to email them my BS log and food log last week, which I did last Monday. I never did hear back from them. You would think I would at least get an email saying, "way to go, keep it up." Whatever. I have gotten better advice on this board than I have from that NP.

I am still deciding about whether or not to go to the endo. I am leaning toward it though, because even though I am not a T1, I suspect my pancreas is not always going to be performing well, and I am thinking the Victoza is what is making the C-peptide results as high as they are. Might be better to get on board with an endo, especially since I am 45 and hopefully have many years of living left.
I thought that she was an NP. Yeah, you have to love that bedside manner! I want my doctors & nurses both smart & nice - I don't think that is asking for too much!

Don't feel that you are alone on getting better advice here - I am in that same boat. I can't imagine where I would be today if I had not found the DOC. I think regardless of whether you see an endo or not, it is important you keep up with stuff - I know I don't need to tell you that.

I hope you have lots of years left also!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service