The results are in for my C-peptide and IgG, and I am very pleased!
(Please see my previous discussions for a long narrative on why I had these tests run.)

The C-peptide was 3.8 (reference 1.1-4.4)
GAD65 was 0.00 (reference <0.02)
IgG was <1:4 (reference <1:4)

So, if I am reading this correctly, I have no antibodies to suggest an autoimmune attack on my pancreas, correct?

As far as the C-peptide, I am assuming this means I am making adequate insulin on my own. I know this particular test is not the most accurate in the world, but it does tell me that I make at least some of my own insulin, right? Since it is in the normal range, I am wondering if that means I have a lot of insulin resistance?

By the way, this test was not fasting, I had eaten some oatmeal about 2 hours before the test.
My medications are 1,000 mg of Metformin daily, 1.8 mg Victoza nightly, and 32 units of Lantus nightly. Not sure how any of the above factors would have affected the test results.

Views: 526

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My BS 15 minutes prior to them drawing blood was 122.

That is a great article. I have it saved to my favorites. Thanks!
Hi Sparkysmom: Good for you for persisting to get these tests! Based on your family history, I think it is good to have some certainty, to put your mind at ease. What has your doc/endo said about these results?
I have not talked to the regular doctor, I just got the call that they were normal and I could pick up the paper copy of the results, so I got them yesterday. I will go back to my diabetes doctor in a couple of weeks and I will give the results to them. I am sure they will give me the "I told you so" speech, but I don't care. It was still negligent of them not to run the tests in the first place (in my opinion), so this put my mind at ease and that will only benefit me in my further treatment. Not to mention the fact that it will provide a baseline so that if anything else comes up, they can at least compare the two test results.

I am still an advocate for testing. I am starting to get pretty passionate about it. How many people are misdiagnosed and treated inadequately because of lack of testing? This much worry was so needless.
I am glad you are finding piece of mind by getting the tests done.

I am on the same medication regime as you and have found as a Type 2 that even loosing a huge amount of weight I have damaged my pancreas enough that I can spike on the slightest amount of carbs. I have had the C Pep and produce insulin but under stress I dont put enough out. I have no phase two response and am only covering myself with my own basal insulin so if I spike it can take a long time to get it back down.

I am getting good control by really watching my diet but my Dr warns me not to get my hopes up. He said many T-2's have lost significant insulin production at the time of diagnosis. You may find that when you reach goal weight that even then you are insulin deficient as I have found.
Pauly, I have come that conclusion also. I have a feeling that the Victoza has stimulated my pancreas to produce more insulin than it ordinarily would have had I not been on it. I have told my doctors all along that I am okay with having to be on insulin for the rest of my life (and I truly am okay with it), I just would like to be on the least amount possible. That's why I am really happy with the Victoza. Now, if they come out with studies stating it definitely causes cancer, etc., then I am SCREWED, because this stuff really works!

It would have been nice (and informative) to know what my C-peptide was back before I started the Victoza. Guess I'll never know. Right now, I'm not about to go off it, I'm liking my numbers too much!
Is the victoza helping with weight loss ?
Anthony, to be honest, it has not helped me at all with weight loss. As a matter of fact, when I was having all those hypo episodes these past couple of months, I was ridicuously hungry, so I ate more than I should have.

I know on the Victoza board there have been a lot of folks who have had more success with weight loss than I have. I definitely would not go by just my experience with it. I am just happy it is bringing the numbers down.
Well, the c-peptide is a somewhat difficult test to interpret, you really need to know your Blood Sugar (BS) at the time of the test. Eating two hours before the test won't necessarily do it (the half life of c-peptide is 30 minutes). A c-peptide in the normal range with a normal BS won't tell you whether you are insulin resistant or deficient. If you have a high BS and a high c-peptide, that suggests insulin resistance, and a high BS and a low c-peptide suggests insulin deficiency. From your tests, it "suggests" you are type 2.
I just checked my meter, and I had checked it about 15 minutes before they drew the blood. I was in the room and waiting, so I was bored and check it. It read 122. I had eaten a small bowl of oatmeal at about 8:00 a.m. 2-1/2 hours earlier.
Well, that is good, it helps the interpretation. But it still doesn't give you a real indication of whether you are significantly insulin deficient or resistant. For comparison, my c-peptide was 1.8 ng/ml with a fasting blood sugar of 130 mg/dl. My endo told me that the results were "inconclusive."
Yeah, your results definitely indicate T2. Although, because the test wasn't fasting, that could have affected your c-peptide results. When you eat, you stimulate insulin production and this results in a higher level of c-peptide. But that, combined with the antibody tests, should make it pretty certain that you're T2. From what I understand, Metformin can suppress insulin production and Victoza can increase insulin production. So I don't know what impact these meds could have had on your results.
I am glad that you were able to get the tests & have some peace of mind Sparkysmom! It will also give you a baseline to compare to should things change in the future. I don’t know about the drugs impacting it, but I do know that Medicare requires a fasting glucose along with the c-peptide – they also have a number limit on the glucose. Apparently a high BS can lower the c-peptide so that is why they put that step in place. Since yours was 122 before the test, that part wouldn’t affect your result.

I thought you were going to try out a different doctor that your PCP knew?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service