Here are the top 23 favorite low-carb snacks as they appear on another diabetes site. Do you have any to add?

Peanut butter
Cheddar cheese
String cheese
Cottage cheese
Broccoli with melted cheese
Salad with free veggies and low-carb dressing
Tomato and mozzarella salad
Celery with peanut butter
Fresh berries with low-fat plain yogurt
Veggies with hummus
Cucumbers with olive-oil and rice vinegar
Carrot sticks
Snap peas with Caesar dressing
Radishes with tzatziki
Green beans cooked and cooled with lemon juice
Nuts
Sautd Spinach
Pickles

Rotisserie chicken
Deli meat
Pepperoni and cheese
Beef jerky
Hard boiled eggs

More resources about low carb snacks and recipes for people with diabetes:
(Note added by Admin Team)

Tags: food, low-carb, snacks

Views: 141498

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have trouble with peanuts and peanut butter. Peanuts are not a nut, they are a legume and I can't eat those lentils and stuff. Took me a month to find this out as I was certain sure that peanuts and peanut butter were a good thing to eat. Ha!
I agree, I have to take insulin every time I eat peanuts or peanut butter. I can eat almonds with no problem. Peanuts are my favorite though.
I have the same issue: peanuts, but not almonds, raise my blood sugar. The rise from peanuts is verrrry gradual, but it definitely makes me high. They would be a great food to eat if I had to go without food for, say, 12 hours.
taco salad with melted cheese, salsa and raw onion (meat only, no beans for low carb) over shredded lettuce or on an endive or Romaine leaf. New one she likes large strawberries (3 or 4) sliced in half with cool whip center, but eaten when it is frozen.
That is a good choice Jan. I eat that kind of salad frequently.
Cheese and Carrot slice - see recipe on Recipes

Wow, thats a nice list with many choices that might even taste good :-)  I will have to add those to my grocery list next time I go.

Thanks.

Peanut butter spikes me up, even though I am OK with Peanuts, and when I have some peanut butter it is the light kind. Weird...

Not a snack, but a good meal food: LASAGNA. This hits very slow, and is filling; I can use the dual wave on my pump and bolus half up front, half over about an hour. It's all the cheese I guess ^^ mmmmm cheese...

I ate a bunch of celery with peanut butter, and it didn't spike me, but kept me around 140-150 for hours. Not good! Hummus also pushes me up.

A food you didn't include was sauerkraut, which I like a lot. Our grocery also sells jicama sticks -- I don't know how low carb they are because they're sweet, but they have a high water content, and also fiber, so I'm guessing they're not so bad.

I also like plain tofu with soy sauce and bonito shavings, which I learned to eat in Japan. You can also put tofu in broth, although I prefer miso, which is fermented soy paste.

I'm glad to hear other people's ideas -- it will be a lot of help! :-)

Avocado with parma ham or prawns

Ajvar (A red pepper relish popular throughout what used to be Yugoslavia).

Guacamole (though I try to avoid this because it makes me crave nachos)

I prowl my local Korean and Chinese stores for weird and wonderful seaweed snacks that come closest to the mouth feel of potato chips.

I also went through a phase when I was addicted to Szechuan-style cucumber salad. These are cut-up cucumbers doused with Szechuan peppercorns, garlic, chilli, vinegar and a little sesame oil. They are vegan, low-carb, low-salt, low-fat and taste incredible!

I am looking for an alternative breakfast I normally have bacon egg and tomatoes I don't like anything even mildly sweet or milky any suggestions would be most welcom
Colin, I know how you feel. I get so frustrated that I cannot seem to find recipes that are quick, tasty and savoury! There should be a law against all the sweet, milky or long winded recipes for breakfast!

Do you like cheese or fish?

I toast a slice or two of toast, and then slice some onion and place that on the toast, cover with cheese and put some caraway seeds on, then grill the toast under the grill for a few minutes till bubbling. And then have a lot of pepper on it!

You could have sardines on toast (good for protein), onions (or omit them) and heat them under the grill, or put some cheese on top, or tomatoes. The sardines can be tinned or fresh.

How about porrige made with water and add a dash of chilli sauce or similar to taste - watch the sugar in them though!

I look forward to reading your other answers to glean some ideas myself! Hope you do not mind. I hate breakfast, but they say it is the best meal of the day, but why oh why does it all have to be sweet?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service