I have been T1 for a little over a year now. Recently my BS have been CRAZY(alot of highs) and my lantas seems to die out at night. I have been thinking of switching to a pump, but witch one and is having a pump that much better? Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I highly reccamend you lookat all the pumps and see which one fits in with your life style. you can go on youtube and type in each pump name and you can get videos on each pump that is how I knew almost everything about the ping even before training it was so easy to use!!!

my personal expierience

omnpod landed me in the ICU mutiple times for not alarming the failures. minimed worked but screen was hard to read and could not bolus off the meter. very undurable- went through 33 PDMS in 3 years.

ANIMAS IS AMAZING

I love it soooooo much. no failures yet. painless insertion and really east to use.
I agree with all the comments above. A pump gives a lot more flexibility with basals & allows much finer increments for bolus doses. BUT it is a LOT more work. I have been pumping for nearly 4 years now, & I wouldn't go back, my A1C has gone from 8.0 to about 6.0, & I was a late pumper, I've had T1 since 1961. But the first 2 months on the pump were hell, my BG was really high at times & I had real trouble inserting the infusion sets, I was only saved by my wonderful Animas trainer.

My advice learn as much as you can before starting so you are prepared. I would reccomend the Pumper's Bible, aka Pumping Insulin by John Walsh, you can get it on Amazon or the Diabetes Mall.

Talk to all the pump reps & get them to demo their pumps & let you feel & play around with each. The Diabetes Mall
http://www.diabetesnet.com/ has an excellent table summarizing the features of the different pump models, & another the different infusion sets.

So, my advice Do Your Homework, I just wish I had read more before I started
I started pumping 5 or 6 (or 7?) years ago. I really didn't think it made that much difference in what I was doing. I don't know if I just wasn't using it properly or what, but that's what I can say. About 2 years ago, a doctor took me off it (I was getting low too much, and she thought shots would help). Anyway, I really don't miss it.
I say do not think about a pump switch. It is so much easier.

I had to take my lantus in two doses half in am and half in pm so that I would not go low and then spike about 20 hrs later.

I would call all of the pump companies and have them bring out a pump for you to play with. You can not make an informed decision without actually holding one in your hands. You will also want to look at the different infusion sets that each of the pumps use.
I have been on a pump for almost a year now. I was having a lot of lows on MDI so my Endo suggested the pump last spring and in the fall I took the plunge. So far the best decision I ever made. No more lows. My A1c is going down and I have lost a little weight.
I have had D for 52 years since the age of 3. I switched to a pump 2-12-08. It was the best thing I could have done. My hA1c prior was 6.7 when I finally started to count carbs about 3 years ago. Now it is 6.2. Again it was the best thing I could have done. I also am using the Dexcom CGM. I love it, but I think my wife does more since she can now sleep at nite.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service