I have been T1 for a little over a year now. Recently my BS have been CRAZY(alot of highs) and my lantas seems to die out at night. I have been thinking of switching to a pump, but witch one and is having a pump that much better? Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After 26 ½ years of MDI, I just started pumping in June. A big advantage of pumping is the ability to set multiple basal rates. I have DP and my BS starts going up about 5 AM - having the pump allows me to change my basals in time to stop that from happening without having to wake up to do it. If you want to exercise, you can turn the basals down or even stop them.

I got the Animas Ping. One thing I liked about the Ping is that it is waterproof. It is easy enough to pop it off when I get in the shower, but if my BS is running higher, I don’t have to do that. I also won’t have to worry about what to do with the pump if I go to an amusement park & ride water rides.

It also has the remote making it easy to bolus without pulling the pump out from wherever you have it on or under your clothes. The remote has a food database in and you can customize it to add your favorite foods. You can then just pull those up with the right number of carbs and it does all the math for you.
yup i want the Ping, so it will calculate and tell you how much insulin to take? how does that work if everyone it different?
With all pumps, you enter what your carb ratios are - I forget how many total you can have with the Ping but I have 3 different ones set depending on time of day. You can also set your own correction factor and set what you want your target BS to be. If you have your target set at 85 and enter (or use the remote to test) that your BS is 120, it will come back and suggest how much insulin you need. You have the option of using a different amount if you want to.
Kelly, what do yo do with your pump when you are in the shower? 99% of the time I disconnect, but when I dont, I end up having to hold it because the tubing isnt long enough to rest it on anything. just curious what other solutions are out there...
if you dont switch to the pump you should really think about using levemir.. its alot more stable
I second that!
yeah this 24hr no peaking lantus does not last 24 hrs and peaks while im working, making the switch to a pump, thanks
If you ever end up having to be on Lantus again, a lot of people actually end up splitting their lantus dose, and get a lot better results with that. So, if you ever need/want/ or have to take a pump vacation in the future, you might want to try that out if you have to use lantus. Good luck with pumping! It's fabulous!
I used Lantus for several years...two shots per day. About four months ago, I switched to Levemir. I don't find that it covered me near as well as Lantus. Also, use Humalog to cover my meals and snacks. Good news for me, I'm switching to a pump as of this coming Thursday. Good luck. I love the people at Animas, they were really helpful and patient as I was trying to decide between Animas and Medtronic. Animas is waterproof and has the calorie king food diary, both of which is good for me.
deff i come no where near your experience at 14 years but i respect you greatly for dealing with what you had to those days.. i agree i had the pump and will be going back on it veryyyy soon maybe tomorrow hopefully... its freedom like you can never compare and the control is par non for diabetes right now..
I resisted a pump for years but the first DAY I got my MM (and MM CGM system) I knew it was the right choice. After less than 3 months I went from 7.5 to 6.1 and cut my insulin use by 40%.

The pump and CGM is a lot more 'work' than just taking shots but the results are so very much worth it.
Thanks so much for the info. My new insurance kicked in yesterday so I think i am gonna look at some pumps and make the switch, thanks everyone

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service