Last night around 9:00PM I got out my Levemir pen and prepared for my biggest shot of basal for the day. Suddenly the dogs began to bark. This is a major distraction: so Dogs, What's up? We have a fence between the kitchen and the living room; they wanted to switch sides. When all was calm, I thought, What did I do? I remembered priming and shooting myself. What I didn't remember is whether or not I dialed up any insulin. So from 9 PM until 1:00 AM I tested every hour or half-hour to see whether my BG was going up or staying stable. First it's dealing with the rise caused by slow digestion (following the low, of course) with teeny amounts, then watching for signs of whether or not I had given myself insulin. Finally I decided that I had indeed taken the Levemir, and my BG was great all night and the next morning. That leaves me wondering, Is all this testing a good thing for every night? You get to read, watch TV, lurk at TuD... Anybody actually spend their evenings this way on purpose?

Tags: Levemir, control, insulin, tight

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi FHS. I get a lot of grumbling with the 2:00 AM lights on. Hate to think of the response to rolling, dozing, rinsing...
Heh, my significant other sleeps deeply, but as fitfully as I do most of the time. Sometimes my signal to check my Dex or get up to test is an inadvertent elbow to the head from Sleeping Beauty. If I do roll out if bed, I'm still half asleep so I just stumble to the office without turning on the lights.

It really is a relief to be with someone supportive or, at least, someone whose sleeping habits are tolerant of your own. =)
This argues for two possible courses of action, not mutually exclusive:

1. Get a CGM.
2. Don't let anything interrupt a medical procedure.

I have learned through experience to count the steps and run each procedure all the way to the end before paying attention to anything else such as demanding dogs, children or spouses, ringing doorbells or phones, buzzing alarms, whistling tea kettles, running faucets. (Haven't tested it with actual fires, earthquakes or tornadoes.) If I let myself get interrupted I'm likely to forget to push a button on my pump and I'll walk around with an unprimed pump for an hour or more, or miss a bolus, or neglect to change out a reservoir.

Glad everything turnd out okay. Don't you wish you could have those test strips back?

Terry
Hi Terry. 1. I have used the temporary CGM that my endo hooked up for a few days, which showed I was doing OK at the time. I know it's not really the same thing, but I'd rather not wear one all the time. So 2) I'm going to throw the dogs outside when I shoot the nightly Levemir! About the checklist, I do write down my basals (I sometimes use Regular to fill in the gaps), but in this case, I had no idea whether or not I had dialed in the Levemir, so I just wrote a question mark!
The last time I was involved in a tornado, I was @ the Tae Kwon Do class where I received my black belt, a couple of weeks after the test. The instructor paused class when the sky turned green and offered the closet to take shelter in so, of course, everyone went outside to look at the trippy sky. I excused myself and drove across town through massive floods to get a tattoo that I'd wanted to get for a few years but felt like i needed to have done something first? I don't recall exactly what my BG was but I presume it was ok. I like to test a lot. I am always curious what my BG is and also where it's going. I have a CGM too and like to reassure myself that it's correct, after all the MM bashing on message boards :-)
Hi acidrock. That's the story of my diabetic life: Do I need to do something first?
LOL, you have some nice dogs!! I love the pic of the herd of Golden Retrievers swimming.! Watch out fish! I always have had hobbies and distractions of various sorts. Some of them were not entirely wholesome but, nonetheless served as motivation to keep my bg under control?
I've not spend evenings like this intentionally, but have been in a situation similar to yours. Testing, testing, testing because I couldn't remember if I took Levemir before bed & once because I thought I had taken Apidra instead of Levemir. Thought that was going to be my last on earth.

My choice would be not to live a life this way.

I don't usually sleep through the night & sometimes, but not always, test when I wake up.

Not as often as I should since it's such a pain, but I do the ole basal testing to check & adjust doses.
Hi Gerri. I did mix up my Apidra and Levemir once and spent the day eating, eating, eating. I switched from taking the Levemir in a vial to a FlexiPen, and use Apidra in a vial to avoid it's happening again.
The night I thought I took Apidra instead of Levemir, I didn't even wait to see the numbers drop. I ate so much glucose gel that I almost threw up. Got myself up to over 300 in preparation & then waited. When it was obvious I hadn't taken Apridra, then the corrections began. Got no sleep that night.

A pen & a vial is a great idea!
I usually sleep pretty good overnight. I will occasionally do some basal testing and set my alarm every hour but that only happens a couple times a year, not something I would do every night! I’ve been there though with the “did I or didn’t I” routine – it is not fun!
Hi Kelly. Waking up every hour is above and beyond! I just tweak after problems, or when the seasons change. For me, fall and spring require changing the basal amounts.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service