I know this has been discussed before but, i wanted to get more feedback. Last night was a good example, my husband was home with my son and his bs was 280 before dinner, I always have him test 15-20 before so he can bolus then if he is high, he does not do this and in two hours he was 305 i bolused for his snack waited a good 1/2 hour for him to eat and tested in 1 hour 15 minutess and he was coming down 220 beter anyway. so i think it helps alot to bolus prior to the meal if running high, i'm not sure if i can enforce this rule when i am not around but i wanted back up! anybody? thanks for any input, amy

Views: 308

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to say I'm not fond of hearing junior+ dad= all over the place numbers vs. mom being on top of things and having to be in charge of both of them? To develop habits now that lead junior to think "250 isn't bad, I feel fine, let's eat!" *greatly* increases the likelihood of problems down the road and they need to have the riot act read to them. Bolusing early is a short-term fix, and a good one, and a lot of the other posts have great suggestions too but the bottom line is that those numbers can become dangerous when they create a pattern that can spread out for years and years?

thanks for the advice, his numbers are generally good, i am well aware of the long term results of poor diabetic control, quite a few of my wakng ( i even dream about it to) revolve around his care and how best to manage him and teach him well, obviously you do not have a child with diabetes and if you did and you had a wife that wasnt as knowledgable about diabetic care as you are, you might understand my strife...my husband has grown in knowlege but i am the medical person in the family that does all the reading ect. trying to be less reactive .. but just had to react.. its been a long day with many more to come, we all walk the walk here no need to put me down

Sorry, it wasn't my intent to put you down as much as Mr. I know what you're saying about the peculiar challenges of kids w/ diabetes. Two of my best friends from high school have a 3 year old who was dx'ed when she was 18 months old and I've seen tons of other posts from parents and from members (e.g. AnnaBanana, who is a shade older but has been around here for a while...) too.

I'm glad to hear that things usually run well but my intent isn't to put you down but to suggest that Mr.Jacob's Mom ought to get on the same plan as you. and, if he isn't as knowledgeable as you, well, he ought to be working towards it?

I have a 13 year old who regularly tries to "divide and conquer" to get leverage between MrsAcidRock and me so I know that can be challenging as well.

There's been some other posts advocating "taking breaks" or "vacations" from various aspects of diabetes, which is sort of what this seems like and, when I run into them, I will comment that I don't think that's a good idea. Again, I don't want to put you down, your original question is very good and shows a great level of engagement with the process. Junior and Mr should join you! *goes off to yell at 13 year old to clean up her room or we're NOT going to Target to buy nail polish*

Hi Jacob's mom, I don't have much to add as far as timing of bolus - I too try to wait 15 to 20 minutes before I eat but sometimes, depending on the circumstances, it's hard. I remember one morning I went to breakfast with my husband. I tend to wait until I see the food in the restaurant to bolus just in case there's a delay (been there, done that). So I'm fixing my coffee and waiting a bit to start eating. The waitress came up and asked "Is there something wrong?" because I wasn't eating yet. :) I just smiled and told her I had to take some meds before I ate.

Balancing tight control and quality of life can be hard for an adult...but I would imagine even tougher for kids. I'm Type 1 but wasn't diagnosed until I was 27 so I didn't have those stressors in those early years.

I admire the parents of kids with diabetes so much. My heart has always gone out to the little ones because I truly think it's not fair for a child to be burdened with diabetes. I know as a parent how much you wish you could just take this off of Jacob and take it upon yourself if you could.

Remember too that it's a marathon. Take one day at a time...they grow up so fast. You're doing a great job, by the way. :)

thanks so much for the encouragement, blessings back at you! amy

I agree with your statement "so i think it helps alot to bolus prior to the meal if running high." I would say it this way "so i think it is very important to bolus prior to the meal and wait longer before beginning to eat if running high."

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service