....I know, the decision lies with me and I will be the one to make it. But any advice or experiences are good to hear.

I am a T1 and have been using injections since I was diagnosed 11 years ago. My last A1C (last week) was 6.6. My highest since I started treatment was 7. I have always felt that I was fine with taking 2 shots a day, and to be honest it doesn't bother me. Then I saw the invite for the free trial pod from OmniPod and it got me thinking...

My biggest beef with Diabetes is the lows. I get them minimum 2 times a week, sometimes at night. I woke up with a 32 the other night, that is rather scary. I am a runner (I do half-marathons) and sometimes I do end a run on a low note. I guess I am wondering how much a pump would really help me with that. Perhaps a CGM would be more helpful at this point.

I also wonder if I hold off on the pump, is the technology going to finally get approved where we have a pump with a CGM built in? Then for sure I know that I would be on board.

I keep going back and forth on this issue....

Thanks in advance!!

Tags: marathon, pump, pumping, running

Views: 794

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Update...today I have an appt. with an Endo...going to go with the OmniPod and see if the doc will push thru a request for the Dex CGM, may as well ask for everything! I really doubt if my insurance will be willing to help with the CGM...but there is only one way to find out.
Hi Sandy. Like you I was diagnosed very young. A week before my 8th birthday I found out that I had diabetes. I treated my diabetes really well with shots for 27 years because I couldn't wear a pump with tubing and just like you I didn't have a problem taking shots. When I started using the pens it was even easier. When I found out about the tubeless OmniPod I ordered the demo and wore it for 3 days to see if it would bother me. I liked it but didn't think that it would be that much of a change from my regular routine. 6 weeks ago I started the OmniPod and I LOVE it!!! I really does make things easier since I don't have to worry about forgetting whether I'd taken my lantus which I had done many times. The PDM keeps track of everything. I'm not worried about the technology changing because I can always upgrade my PDM if a newer one comes out and when the pods finally do become 40% smaller like I've been hearing for many many months I was told that I will start receiving those instead of the bigger ones automatically. It does take a little while to get used to but that is the case with everything that is new. I think you'll love it just as much as I do.

I'm also going to ask my endo about starting the dexcom when I see her. I can't wait!
Thanks for the input Jared...I know it will be a big change to go on the pump, but your words are very encouraging. Change can be very positive!!
I went onto a pump after 40 years of MDI. I had perfected my dart practise on my body prior to giving the pump a whirl (a friend of mine on a pump kept on saying it was the best thing since sliced bread - yeah - abit more expensive then a loaf of good bread tho'). Doing the poor man's pump prior to the pump - really helped me understand how to use the pump properly - or so I thought. I was actually giving too much slow acting insulin on MDI (had broken it down to 2 shots a day). I found with due to not knowing how to use my insulin properly - that I was having lows when I didn't want them. Being active is frustrating when you are a wet rag - not able to lift your legs - let alone - brain function.

Since going on the pump - rarely have lows - can alter the basal rate (e.g. like Lantus / Levemir) at a tweak of a few buttons. You can even set different rates for what your activity is - tho' I have yet to do that.

I'm lucky that with having the pump - it's helped me understand how to use insulin more to my advantage than the other way around. Took a pump break for 6 months- and did well on MDI (no lows like before) - but went back onto pump after a bad day sailing - where I had difficulties accessing pen needle, etc. - so pumping for me in that aspect - is a good thing.

If you can give a pump a try like I did without forking out dollars - do it - it doesn't hurt. I tried out a few brands available to us here in Canada (you live in the USA - you have more then we do - along with CGM's).

Good luck in whatever you decide on!!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service