Today I faced evil and had a bowl of cereal for breakfast. And I spiked like crazy. I tried super low carb for about a month. It started off great with lots of flat lines on the Dexcom, but then I started getting fairly high BG readings that were hard to bring down. I think it was the delayed digestion of things like nuts, cheese, etc. I also continued to lose weight which is something that I don't want to do.

So I've added back some carbs while keeping breakfast at about 23 carbs and trying to avoid carbs at dinner and especially after dinner.

Last night my Dexcom kept alarming for lows. I ignored most of them and ate a few glucose tabs from my bedside table. I woke up at 49 which definitely said that my Dex had been right all night. I am really bad about clearing alarms when I don't want to wake up.

So for the first time in almost two months, I had about 35g of cereal and milk for breakfast. I think it's the milk that I miss more than the cereal. But the spike was horrible and the evil cereal/milk combo won out. Tomorrow it's Greek Yogurt and blueberries or peanut butter toast.

Oh, how I miss cereal and milk.

Views: 360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe you can, peggysue, and I envy you for that! Granola was my favorite breakfast for years - granola, fruit and yogurt. But I tried every (non-starvation) serving size, combination and type and for me I will end up in the 200s. We're all different.

You are right Zoe..we are all different. And you know, if I eat the same for 2 days and have de same activities those days..my sugars are still different from day to day...I'm from the Netherlands and the granola's here don't have so much sugar as in the U.S.versions. I worked a lot in the U.S. and whenever I had granola there for breakfast, my sugars went high as well..so there must be something different.

I never ate granola with sugar as I haven't eaten sugar at all for 17 years. If you go to a health food store or even in many markets, you can find granola without sugar or honey. But it still spiked my blood sugars. So did every "healthy" "high fiber" etc etc cereal I could find in my amazing market, Berkeley Bowl that had every healthy food you could think of. I tried, believe me; some of us just can't tolerate cereal, just like some of us can't tolerate rice, or pasta or potatoes - and some can. Has nothing to do with country.

I think that you're right that everything in America has way too much sugar. I would be wise to make my own granola, but I'm not too interested in spending much time in the kitchen. You're right that plain yogurt affects the blood sugar less than milk. I usually eat full fat regular yogurt. I've been eating full fat Greek Yogurt recently. I feel like I'm eating sour cream and don't like it as well as regular yogurt.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service