Hi everyone,
Our daughter was diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic leading to Type 1 on Feb 6th of this year. I myself am a Type 2 also, genetically effected as I am 5th generation. Our daughters issues however came about in a totally different way. Last March she was a normal 6yr old then started gaining weight rapidly, in April 08 they ran a battery of blood tests and couldn't find a cause so they said she was just going through a growth spurt. Long story short, by August she had gained 56 lbs and was sitting at 111 lbs. (During this time frame I'd taken her to 3 different doctors and all refused to retest her because of the normal results in April). August 30th I finally got another doctor to agree to test her and we found out her Thyroid had stopped functioning (Hypothyroidism). She was put on medication she'll take the rest of her life for this and things looked like they were getting better. She lost about 10 lbs in the next few weeks, then in October she was showing signs of diabetes according to blood tests so they called her pre-diabetic and said we could control with diet and exercise, so thats what we started doing but she kept gaining weight no matter what she ate. We moved in December and had to find a new Ped Endo for her Thyroid condition and met with her on Feb 6th where she was diagnosed Type 2 leading to Type 1 (which they also call Double Diabetes) . Her diet was changed drastically and she was put on Metformin. Things started going well again, she was losing weight her BG levels looked great, then we found out that blood tests revealed other issues going on. On Feb 23rd she was hospitalized and we found out after another series of tests she now has Addison's Disease on top of everything else. The issue is, her autoimmune system is failing and causing antibodies to attack various organs as if they were infections or virus' even though they aren't. Because it has affected more than 1 of her organs they call this the cluster effect. So now, in just 6 months time from being diagnosed with Hypothyroid she takes 6 prescriptions (11 pills a day) to control all of these conditions which have no cures. In the meantime I can't keep my own diabetes under control due to the stress of all of this going on with our daughter which makes it harder to be there for her when I'm not doing so great myself.
Our daughter cries a lot because of all the rules for all these different issues and wants to know why it's happening to her....they have no answer or cause for her autoimmune failure which is frustrating for me as well. I can't explain it to her because I don't have the answers because the doctor's don't have the answers. She is sick of all the testing constantly which I explain needs to be done but at 7 she doesn't understand it all. She's been a trooper and does what she needs to do for each condition but she just wants to be a normal kid and mommy can't make that happen. I know this is all necessary but it is truly too much for a 7yr old to handle.

Tags: Conditions, Diabetes, Double, Emotional, Other, Stress

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are very refreshing to read about. A very strong woman and a great role model for your kids.
My heart goes out to you and your daughter and your family for this challange you have been given. It sounds as though you are doing a great job.
Oh my gosh! how sad. I am so sorry for your family especially your daughter. It is too much for a 7 year old, but kids are so resiliant. They are capable beyond our wildest expectations. I can't imagine what you all are going through. You will make it; one day at a time. I have a 6 year old girl; diagnosed at age 3. Maybe your daughter would like to write a note to my girl by respone to this email. Maybe she would comforted by hearing from another girl close in age. I will help my girl write her back.

Best regards
Marilee
hang in there...things will get better. i felt like that when i was diagnosed with type 1 D at the age of 9. all i wanted to do was be a kid but my parents were over protective and in a way it kind of stole my childhood. i think if my parents would have let me have a little more slack, id have felt more like a kid. they were just so up tight about everything i did and didnt do. id look at my older brother and say "he was allowed to do this and that at my age. why cant i?"
now, ive found my own little ways of being a kid that they actually let me do, like going to D camp and playing vball. plus, in the end, D made me so much stronger and everything your little girl is going through will make her alot stronger too.
just remember, this is not forever.
b
Hi. I am sorry you are going through all of this. That is a lot for a 7 year olds plate, much less her mom. My daughter was recently diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes. She is 7. I am a Juvenile Diabetic, as well. My blood sugars have been completely off the wall due the stress I was feeling initially. It is better...but, I still have my moments.

Would you like our daughters to talk to each other? I will give you my phone number and we can set up a time for them to talk.

I went through a lot of anger, at first. Thinking...why my daughter. But, I realize, that God knew I could handle it. And, I do have a very good support system with my family and the summer camp which she goes through. I am a single mom, so I get very nervous sometimes. I do not sleep because I am afraid she will drop in the middle of the night.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service