Hey,
Is anyone ever too scared to do things because of your diabetes? I never used to let my diabetes get in the way of my life at all however in the past year for some reason i let it prevent me from doing things. For example- Sometimes i won't go out at night after i exercised because i'd be scared id get low.
Or if my sugar is high i won't go out until it comes down
Or I'm afraid to get an "active" job because of my blood sugars
I'm also somewhat scared of driving on the highway now because a year ago i almost blacked out.

Is this normal or should i seek help? lol thanks ;D

Views: 1512

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fear plays an important role in our lives. It helps us not take undue risks and keeps us alive. Beleive me, being male, without fear, I probably would have killed myself several times over with my stupid behavior.

But fear can get out of control and it can overwhelm us, going beyond preventing dangerous behavior and impeding our daily lives. While going to the 12th floor is not an issue, you need to consider what you would do when faced with a 100 story building. While it is good to get the exercise, perhaps it is also time to confront your fear. Perhaps you could start by taking the elevator just one floor and work up to it?

Fear can be a good thing, it can keep boneheads like me from prematurely killing themselves. But it can also take over our lives, give us terrible stress and anxiety and result in behavior that can in it's extreme cripple us. Having diabetes is bad enough, but we need to be diligent that the dangers that it presents don't disable us in uther ways.

You have your chance @ the hundred story building....

Hustle up the Hancock

My sister got married @ the Sears (now Willits...) tower w/ the reception on top. Very nice. I didn't concern myself with the elevators.

Oh I will take the elevator then, but will definitely make sure to bring some snacks with me lol

No, I no longer let fear rule my life because of Diabetes. I test often, especially when going out. Luckily my husband is so Diabetes Aware, he knows more often than I when I'm going low.
How long have you had Diabetes? Do you test often? I read that you have a CGM, you should become comfortable with it and learn to rely on this technology. 36 years ago we just were winging it, you now have so many things to help you manage that we did not. You have a pump? It has been the godsend to managing my Diabetes.
There are days I just feel not sure. I test, pump myself up and go. I test again when I arrive at my location. You can do it!
I now travel overseas, drive places, and go out by myself. You have the tools to assure yourself that you are in control. Use them, and you will become more self assured.

LOL, I'm very comfortable with the CGM, just not jumping in the water with it, although I tried surfing with an infusion set plugged in. I don't think I stayed up on the board more than 3-5 seconds but it was interesting.

It's normal all ppl get scared sometimes just find you a local support group. My husband have been scared to do things to but he just recently found out he is a diabetic. You also have to make changes and do things that are helpful to you because everybody else body is different.

I have been having issues with the fear of finding a new job. I am afraid they won't be understanding and cooperative when it comes to my diabetes but I don't want to leave my crappy job because at least I know what is and isn't acceptable there. To an extent I think it is normalI Do however, recommend seeking help if it becomes something that is interefering in your everyday life. You can't let you diabetes get in the way of living.

I think its incredibly sad for someone so young to allow D to control a life. Until my crash and despite hi/low scares I used to ride or drive my mules or horse into the mountains weekly! Often alone. I 'm 67 next March. Have other complication now. But in 2007 I flew to Brasil to teach indigenous farmers some modern animal husbandry(Mule/Horse harness) techniques and never worried me once! My D2 has been crazy at times, but then hghi, I could exercise and low, I rested and eat! I had the KISS attitude in those days! Best wishes for your future!

We are normal people with a common issue that we can manage. Pack some supplies and do what scares you, it will be good for you to get out in the world without allowing your condition to dictate your activities.

Yes I can relate. Now that I wear an insulin pump I won't take a bath, go swimming or do anything where my body is submerged in water. The reason is I'm afraid of my pump coming off.

If you are afraid about your BG readings being too high or too low, you need to control your BGs, not let them control you. Your highs and lows are normal, but you need to control how frequent they occur. If you maintain good control and check your BGs regularly you can have a better idea where you are and have more confidence. I used to feel the same way as you when I only checked about two times a day. Now I check at least eight times or more per day. I have peace of mind where my BGs are at and can treat it if I'm too high or low.

Good luck and be healthy!

If I am low I eat the appropriate amount to raise my BG t0 at least 100, and then carry out my day as planned. knowing my insulin sensitivity enables me to calculate the right amount of insulin to make it safe to exercise, drive a car, etc. If I am high I take the correct amount of insulin to bring my BG down to an appropriate level, and immediately proceed with my activity. I have never had to delay doing anything for very long. I control my diabetes, it does not control me. I am a healthy diabetic, after 66 years of type 1.

Maybe it's your practice too Richard? You've had the hang of this for a while!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service