Hey,
Is anyone ever too scared to do things because of your diabetes? I never used to let my diabetes get in the way of my life at all however in the past year for some reason i let it prevent me from doing things. For example- Sometimes i won't go out at night after i exercised because i'd be scared id get low.
Or if my sugar is high i won't go out until it comes down
Or I'm afraid to get an "active" job because of my blood sugars
I'm also somewhat scared of driving on the highway now because a year ago i almost blacked out.

Is this normal or should i seek help? lol thanks ;D

Views: 1506

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sometimes I'm afraid to do things too. I never travel alone. I always make sure there is someone with me. That's a fairly recent thing in just the last two years. It's a scary thing. If something happens, you are at the mercy of strangers.

I was diagnosed four years ago with type 1. Through trial and error I have not stopped any of my activities. Since being diagnosed I have ridden my motorcycle across Canada twice and have been on scuba diving trips to the Caribbean and just returned from Fiji. I am on the Medtronic Paradign pump and just love it.

I also swim in a pool and it is no problem with the CGM. It can go in the water. I just unplug the pump and put it in a backpack and leave it in the pool area so I can keep an eye on it because there are no lockers in our community pool. Swimming is no problem!

I am lucky to work with a great team at the St Joseph Health Centre in London Ontario. Don't let diabetes control your life. It takes a lot of work but it is worth the effort.
't

It is tough to tell someone else what is right for them but I think it is sad to see diabetics reclusive because they are afraid of lows so I will just speak for myself.
I was diagnosed with Type 1 at 50 years old. I went from needing 24 units of Insulin a day to well over a hundred now (counting basil). It has never occurred to me to change the things I do. I am active in biking, hang gliding, airplanes and boating. I put 30,000 miles a year on my car, mostly for business and will ride my bike on a 60 mile trip in the country alone. Maybe I am stupid for doing this but like I said, it never occurred to me to change my life style because of Diabetes.
It is not that I am not scared of lows; I was hospitalized once several years ago because late at night I took Novalog when I thought I was taking my Lantus (don't try this at home, not recommended). That was a mistake I only made once and it taught me to have a great respect for insulin induced low blood sugars. I have sugar and my meter with me everywhere I go (even Hang Gliding and that is a trick) and check at least once an hour (often every 30 minutes) if I am flying, biking, boating (unlike a car, the boat will not stop if the driver passes out) on an extended drive, before meetings, etc. I do have a CGM now but am not that impressed and still test very often.
My question to those concerned about doing something because of concern for lows is this; what is your concern if you test often (as often as necessary) and carry a source of sugar with you. I think diabetics would be much happier if they would test often, carry sugar and go have some fun.
I could be all wrong so I look forward to your response.

Mike

Oh, way to go Mike.

I'm no longer a huge fan of swimming, with all of the technology taped to my stomach.

I don't know, I mean I've just never let it control my life. I don't know if that was more stubborn rebellion or just a fly by the seat of my pants attitude and hope for the best. I think as I've gotten older and have had this longer, I am probably more cautious, but no I dont let it control me, if I want to go somewhere or do something I do it.

Oh darn, not at all? Not even in a pool? I swim an hour a day on the pump, but don't have a CGM.. do you, and does that make a difference?

I have gone swimming and took surfing lessons the summer of 2010 but, to me, I didn't enjoy it that much and I don't go out of my way to swim.

Rocky I cannot even imagine what that is like m8! But now, HNAG GLIDING. you can do that eh?
Can we talk guitars? mulesspain@gmail.com

I think it is normal to be apprehensive to do things with this disease. However, we have to live a long life with this so I think you must confront your fears and try to work through them. It's possible you might want to talk to a professional who can help you deal with some of your anxiety. We live with so many inherent constrictions with this disease it would be a shame if you let it rob you of all your freedoms.

To me it's normal now. Like u I really didn't let it bother me too much for like 35 years into being a Type 1 (maybe more I honestly don't know) but for the last few years (after a wreck that I did black out b/f due to a really low low that I didn't feel coming on) I do loads less now. Like something everyone (or atleast I did when I done it) takes for granted like driving. I found that a car can be a bad thing if ur not in controll. But it's kinda like Cinderfellla says if ur alone ur at the mercey of strangers so I kinda like knowing I have someone who knows what's up with me incase I get to being too "strange" LOL!

I work in high tech industry and bicycle. Sometimes I mountain bike and sometimes I road bike. One year i was so scared cause I kept getting lows all the time because of changes in my meds. It got to the point that I did not want to go to work or bike. I was always on my blood pressure monitor cause I had high blood pressure and the doctors kept telling me that I would have a stroke if the blood pressure did not come down. After being like this through out the summer I could not stand being at home worrying about things and how it was impacting the people around me. So as I had done before when I used to mountain bike I got up and started to get back to life. The one thing I did was constantly test. Since I am a type 2 we are not given cgm's so I am stuck testing with meter and strips. I test like 12 to 14 times a day to make sure I dont get lows while in meetings or exercising. A little excesive but its what I need to function. I rather stab myself in the finger repeatly than sit at home.

So my suggestion if you want to get back out and do things find a way that will make you comfortable when you are out and about or doing things. Testing was my safety net, so if you are alone testing may be a good way to make you feel better. As long as I know the number I know that it may just be allergies or sinus problems and not lows. I had issues with allergies feeling like lows for a while so I would over treat and wind up high for hours.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service