Hey,
Is anyone ever too scared to do things because of your diabetes? I never used to let my diabetes get in the way of my life at all however in the past year for some reason i let it prevent me from doing things. For example- Sometimes i won't go out at night after i exercised because i'd be scared id get low.
Or if my sugar is high i won't go out until it comes down
Or I'm afraid to get an "active" job because of my blood sugars
I'm also somewhat scared of driving on the highway now because a year ago i almost blacked out.

Is this normal or should i seek help? lol thanks ;D

Views: 1512

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can you feel yourself get low? And maybe you should change your meds if they're causing the lows?

Your story reminds me of me though- i used to ride my bike miles and miles into the woods by my house on a trail we have here. I would bring a bag with me with juice and my meter etc and of course my phone and i would just ride about 15 miles into nowhere around no one. Well I can't even thinking about that now- it seems so stupid. Although I can't help but think I had the right mentality back then and not now- I mean i had all the stuff on me incase something happened and my sugar was in better control back then when i didn't worry.

It sounds like many of your concerns are related to the effects of low bs. Is that right? Or is it more all over the place?

All I can think of is contingency plans. Covering the bases. Like, about driving -- don't get into the car if your BG is below 120 (your target number could be different). I used to do long-trip driving, and I ALWAYS had an open bottle of regular Coke in the car, and I just kept sipping on it. And in addition, you can stop and test every hour. For me, the tests never showed anything much out of the ordinary -- I might run a little high, but I was just SIPPING on the Coke, not guzzling it.

If you exercised, and think you might go low, then have a little protein snack before you go out. Nothing wrong with having a pocketful of munchies, too -- but again, an OCCASIONAL munch, not a snack-fest.

If your BG is high, why not go out? You can test as much as you want, and if you're cautious about it, and careful not to stack insulin, you can bring it down slowly and not go low. The issue here is slow and careful. I have a pump and a CGM, and that helps immensely, but frequent tests would tell you the same thing. If you're trending down, DON'T take more insulin; if you've flattened out or are going back up again, maybe do, but just a LITTLE. No rage boluses! :-)

I'm trying to say that you shouldn't let these things stop you, BUT you need to be prepared, and ready to meet all contingencies. And it wouldn't hurt to have a friend along who knew what you were doing, and what you are scared of, and who would be ready to help appropriately. You only have one life, and you have to LIVE it! :-)

I think it's perfectly normal to be scared doing some of the things you describe. Remember, fear is a healthy thing most of the time, as it helps to keep us alive! So long as that fear isn't controlling your life, you're ok (IMO).

Yes, I too am scared sometimes to do things for fear of losing consciousness. Several years ago, I was traveling a lot for work and whenever I had to travel alone, I was always way more on top of my BGs and far more fearful of going low when alone in a hotel room, for example. Driving too can be a bit nerve-wracking. But this fear is what drives me to test before getting behind the wheel.

I think getting older changes our level of fear and how we let it impact our lives. As kids and teens, we're rarely scared of anything. But as a adults, we become far more aware of the consequences of everything and are more careful and less likely to take risks (hence the lower car insurance rates!)

I say be scared, but keep it in check. It's ok to not leave your house sometimes because you're scared of going low, but if it turns into an all-the-time thing, you may need to get some help.

Do you have a CGM?

yes i have a CGM but its just made me more paranoid actually.

I found the CGM made me worse, I used it for 6 months and gave up!! I have a very severe hypo phobia, I have run my sugars too high for 20 years and have seen all kinds of psychologists etc over the years. I think I left it too long before I sought help though so maybe seeing someone now would nip it in the bud?

Better to live in hope than fear! Better to do something than nothing. I learnt that here!

I can relate to your fear. For me, it's gotten worse as I've aged and have seen scary lows and greater fluctuations at times. I agree with Natalie on the contingency planning - that equates to peace of mind for me. If I go anywhere in a car, whether I'm driving or not, I test before and often and I bring along my small backpack that has a small bottle of gatorade and a glucagon emergency kit, as well as jelly beans and peanut butter crackers. If I'm driving, I have a small bottle of gatorade in my drink holder that stays there always.

Sometimes I even find myself hesitating to go out or make plans with family, then I remind myself "you have the glucagon kit and the gatorade...it will be okay". That's helped me alot to overcome my hesitation. The other tool for piece of mind is a cgm. I keep my Dex in my lap while I'm driving so I can glance at it if I need to...I keep thinking one day I'm going to get pulled over for texting behind the wheel when I'm not really texting! I can see that now...but Officer....

I'm still grappling with traveling for business. I actually skipped a conference I normally attend last year because of health anxiety but I don't want to give in to that forever. I'm also hoping to get a pump soon so am not comfortable traveling long distances with a pump until I get used to it.

The strange thing is that I never used to be like this. I'd go anywhere and everywhere over the almost 25 years in and sometimes had to scrounge in my purse for forgotten lifesavers but never planned and didn't worry about it. It's only been the last couple of years for me and I think it has more to do with becoming more hypo unaware and just being scared I won't feel it or catch it in time.

I agree with two earlier points that fear can be very healthy and swimming with all this junk attached to you is annoying. Swimming is just difficult with a CGM and a pump and exercise and heat, etc. I think those activities that you are hesitant to do may require extra planning? Diabetics are great at planning ahead so that is what I recomend. I firmly believe that there is not anything a diabetic cannot do if they have enough supplies and time to plan ahead.

I have also found that camping is quite difficult for me. The increased exercise, unknown timing of meals, erratic schedule, poor sleep, being in the middle of nowhere if there is a problem and dirty environment is difficult enough for me. And all that stresses me out and makes it that much more challenging. Also, swimming often happens when you are camping to make it even more difficult.

yeah...sleep!

I think it's normal to be cautious with what we do in life because BG is impacted so easily. Unfortunately, diabetes demands constant attention and monitoring. My biggest fear is dropping low so I just always try to be prepared... I keep life savers, glucose tablets, granola bars stashed everywhere... coat pockets, purses, glove compartment of my car, at work, (even at the gym, I keep something nearby.) I feel safer that way. I can fix a high anytime because I'm on a pump so that doesn't bother me anymore.
Always be prepared to tx a low and check your BG often :)

yeah...I always tell myself I'd rather have a low then be high, i'm still on MDI's and very insulin sensitive...so correcting is tough..until I have a bad low..then I'm like...OH WAIT, I hate those more. Diabetes sucks!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service