Hi all

Yeah, I know I'm using up all my posting privleges, but that's how things have been for me this week.

I had posted on Monday about an unexpected serious low followed by a day stuck in the high 200s and low 300s. Thank goodness that passed. I concluded the extreme highs were from a combination of reaction to the low and poor absorption sites.

But I'm not back to normal because I wasn't normal for awhile before that crisis. I normally have pretty decent control Mostly I'm in range with the occasional spike or low.(My last A1C was 5.7) But starting two weeks ago I started having more highs than not, and these highs were at various times related to both to post prandial to basal. The highs weren't extreme, mostly in the high 100s. But high for me. And my correcting didn't seem to be working as well as normal, or I'd correct come down and go back up.

I do tweak my basals occasionally but mainly they work well (I have 9 different rates) and my I:C's have been consistent for months. So what could be causing all the highs? As I said I think I was having poor absorption in my hips which I had probably been using too long. But now I've switched to stomach and it's the same. I switched my insulin vial; I have no reason to think the whole batch was bad as it was fine before. I threw out a pen I'd been using for back-up as it was a year old. I don't have hormone issues as I'm post menopausal. My eating habits are the same and I'm not under stress.No major change in the weather. The only thing left is illness. As I've mentioned on here I rarely get sick and have a super strong immune system. But I have felt a bit like I'm fighting off a cold. My crazy immune system sometimes does that for weeks before I either finally get it or it passes. That could affect control. Finally I had slow onset adult Type 1, but as of 3 years ago when I started insulin my c-peptide was either .38 or .70 so I am assuming it bottomed out pretty much long before this. But who knows; maybe this is the final death march - my insulin use has been fairly low..around 20 TDD, so maybe I'm now "running on empty" and need to up it.

So it could be incubating illness, insulin depletion or some unknown factor. My question is what to do. A few highs are normal for a Type 1 I know and I don't stress over numbers usually. But this is day after day. I do like understanding things. But someone on here once told me something like it doesn't matter why something is happening just what to do about it. So even though my basals and boluses were well set for awhile before this they don't seem to work now, so should I just start slowly tweaking both until I get good results then watch to make sure I don't start having lows when whatever it is goes back to normal? What do you guys think?

Views: 454

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Count me in! LOL

I wonder where I'm at with that, as I was dx'ed at 16, sort of in the middle, and don't have any family HX, before or since, although the current generation concerns me? Perhaps I'm cheating with "home grown"?

Thanks for the info, Jen. The topic of c-peptides is really fascinating, as you said, as was today's Dr. Faustman video.

Zoe, thanks so much for asking this. I never thought of allergies as being a contributing factor to BGs, but I guess if the body is fighting something it's inevitable.

I always learn so much here, thank you all!

Hi Zoe. You've had a rough week! I hope things settle down for you very soon.

About allergies--pollens are important, but so are molds. I have a host of allergies that get better in the winter, but don't go away completely because, where I live, even if it's too cold for the pollens, it's plenty damp enough for molds to flourish. And then there's dustmites. You said you feel most allergic when you wake up in the morning. Maybe you could buy a new pillow and see if that makes a difference. Dustmites are almost impossible to get rid of but you won't find them in new bedding.

Allergies are auto-immune related and so I guess it's also possible that you've just become more sensitive to various allergens. These auto-immune conditions seem to reinforce each other, working in concert to keep us off-balance!

If possible I would highly recommend seeing an allergist to get tested, as they can tell you exactly what you are allergic to. It might not help in all cases (for example, kind of hard to do anything about outdoor pollens), but for stuff like dust mites and pet dander, there's definitely something you can do to help. (I second the mattress and pillow covers. I still have allergies in the morning but nowhere near as bad as before I had the covers!)

Also, I went from having NO allergies (other than to one or two foods) to suddenly developing a ton of seasonal and indoor allergies all at once when I was 24. I thought I had the worst, longest-lasting cold ever until I saw an allergist and found I had developed allergies (to 17 out of the 23 things he tested for!). They have gotten worse over the years, and I've developed some new ones as well. I consider it a sort of autoimmune problem, it's just my immune system is going crazy attacking harmless particles I touch/inhale/ingest rather than one of my bodily systems.

Those darn autoimmunities again! Thanks for the suggestion about a new pillow!

Since so many of you helped me along through my saga of lows and highs since Sunday, I just thought I'd update. I'm pretty much back to normal not only from the extremes of that day but from the 2 week episode of continually spiking on my usual doses.

I made 3 small tweaks (increases) to basal, but think it wasn't just that, but the absorption issue - I switched from hip to stomach for awhile. And that ineffable something or other that says, "The D gods are done #*@)%-ing with you....for now." Gracias a todo.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MasterLab through the eyes of the community

The Diabetes Hands Foundation would like to thank everyone for attending the diabetes advocates MasterLab on July 2nd 2014. MasterLab was about building a sense of what is possible and designed to give advocates a chance to learn from veteran Read on! →

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service