Thank you, ABC News. ABC World News Tonight (still time to watch it on TV if you are in the Mountain or Pacific Time Zones), announced that the reason why so many insulin pumpers, prosthesis wearers, cane/crutch/walker users, wheelchair assisted individuals, etc are being foced to undergo secondary screening is because intelligence services have heard conversations between terrorists on how to use prostheses and medical devices to conceal explosives. Women are also being targeted for additional screening because of two flights that went down in Russia in 2004, which apparently were brought down by female bombers.

I do not agree with the policy, but at least now there is an admission that it is not just this small group of people being hypersensitive. It is happening and there is (supposedly) a reason.

This is really making me rethink getting a pump. I do not want to undergo a patdown in which someone sticks his hands down my underwear just because I choose to pump insulin.

Tags: Diabetes, Disabilities, Female, Flight, Flying, Issues, Medical Devices, Pumps, TSA, Terrorism

Views: 147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Imagine a child being physically assaulted like this. Horrifying that a generation will grow up accepting this as status quo.

I think it will continue until we're all microchipped & under 24/7surveillance because we're inches away from that now. The pubic will nice & safe then. Every TV crime drama is about surveillance. Instead of being appalled, people are swallowing the message that invasion of privacy is fine. Another way to propagandize a police state.
What a world. The populace takes being molested by the government in the name of "security" but scream bloody murder when you try to get medical coverage for everyone. And yet, to many, liberals are considered the anti-Christ. Has anyone seen Alice? I really need to get out of this rabbit hole.
Let me know if you find Alice because I want out also. Had enough of the Mad Tea Party & I mean it in both ways.
I fly every 2 weeks and just got back from a trip and it was not that bad. And I came home with a bag of extra medical stuff from the hospital. We fly up thru New Orleans to Houston to Atlanta to Indianapolis, home Indianapolis, Memphis to Lafayette, La. Thats alot of airports and I have medical metal in my leg with splints and My son has pump and extra emergency suppies and a huge bag I carried on from the hospital.
apparently this is coming up more and more in questions to animas, like the one i sent last week. i heard back from a rep who said they've updated their letter in response to the technological aspects and sent me a copy, which i've uploaded here.it says the important bits about the xrays, the advanced imaging and not taking the pump off for very long. i wish it also said about not putting nasty gloves that haven't been changed for the last 500 people on someone's infusion set but since i've decided that all my future travel will be by vehicle, it's a moot point for me now anyway.
the main thing that decided me on avoiding air travel is that the TSA says if they can't clear it visually and you won't allow it to be xrayed, then you can't take it with you. i don't have that kind of money to throw away on plane tickets in case they decide they HAVE to xray my pump or CGMS/sensors

from the TSA website:
"Any medication and/or associated supplies that we can't clear visually will be X-rayed. If you refuse, you will not be permitted to carry your medications and related supplies into the sterile area."

I took a lady friend of mine to the airport friday for a trip she was taking to New Orleans she walks with a quad cane. I had read all the stories about some of the things TSA was doing to people so I stood there out of the agents view and watched as she went thru the screening. I'm a former Police officer so I would know from doing a great many patdowns on whether they were being to aggressive. From what I witnessed there wasn't any embarrassing physical contact the patdown was done by a female agent with the back of the hand. The agents hands never once went inside her clothes at any point of the patdown. She went thru the scanner after the patdown the whole process took alittle over 5 minutes. They scanned her two carry on bags and her quad cane they were very polite and extended every courtesy to her. I was very impressed I had my jaw set to open a can of whipp'em butt on them if they had gotten to aggressive with her. What I witnessed wasn't anything like I had read in the news.
I have flown a lot. My worst experience was shortly after 911 when they put me in a segregated area because my pump set off the scanner and I had needles in my carry on luggage. They almost did not let me fly because I refused to put my needles and pump equipment in my checked luggage. It took a call to some airport officials to allow me to fly. I really felt sorry for the two men central Asian men who were in the segregated area with me. I knew that the ADA and disabilities rights people would sort things out for me and other people with diabetes. The people who looked middle eastern (even if they weren't) were going to have trouble traveling much longer.

I have learned to wear certain types of clothes when I go through airport security. I never wear a dress. It is more dificult to show them the components of my implanted equipment while wearing a dress. I usually wear pants and clothes without metal decorations. If they want to see my pump or my continuous glucose monitor, I can show them without having to get undressed. On a day when I am to board a plan, I place my implanted equipment in locations that are close to y pants line so I can show them easily without having to do a lot fo disrobing.

I carry a note from my endocrinologist. I suppose these medical notes can be forged so their value is limited but it is still a good idea.

Most important!!! I always carry glucose tablets on my person when I am in an airport. I have them in a plastic container in my pocket, not in something that is going through the scanner. There are unexpected delays going through security or customs. You are in a place where you can't get to a bathroom or grab a coke. For some reason, I tend to get low glucose readings when I am going through airport security or customs.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service