Hey everyone,
So I'm turning 16 in.... 15 days! Anything I should know? Just thought it would be interesting to see what you guys would say!

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah 16, for me that was 9.5 years ago!

I remember getting my license and getting a job, and thinking I'd get a lot of freedom, or more freedom than previous because I was closer to being an adult.

My parents freaked out. I think by me getting more freedom, they tried to stop it. They wanted to know my blood sugar every time I started the car, at the start, middle, and end of every shift I worked. I had to sit them down and let them know I was okay.

If this happens, it may be frustrating but your parents are just worried about you. I'm sure if you talk with them and be honest, life will be okay.

I'm here if you want to discuss something more or have questions :)
Thanks I don't think my parents will be so strict on me about sugars, thanks to the advice.
Oooooooh your heading for some exciting times. :) Make sure that you get your Best Grades for College/Uni and your Future. If you are getting your license, make sure to test even if you feel weird while driving and need to stop. That could save your Life. Cry when you need to and endure. I had been dating by your age. I came across a couple Losers. Watch out for those and drop them! Make sure that you choose a Guy who isn't afraid of needles/pumps. He should be willing to learn at least the basics of Diabetes. You'll need help sometimes later on. (His being able to fix things and cuddle is Nice also :D ). Be mature and strong when you need to console and to make important decisions but have Fun with the rest.

I just recently put this video on my page. I guess it was meant for you. ;-) Best to You.

Thanks so much! Your comment made me smile :) Love the song!
I hope you have a very special birthday. I remember being in such a hurry to grow up -- I guess we all go through that stage. One thing I took to heart when I was your age was the old song lyric, "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold." Treasure your friends now and most of all, try to forge strong bonds with really good people -- people who are kind and caring, warm and compassionate -- if you do, you'll not only enjoy your youth more, you'll look back on these days with great fondness together. Make the effort to be a good friend: listen, keep in touch, remember birthdays, find something nice to say if you can, consider keeping quiet if your can't, say thank you from your heart.

I have a friend who has been a precious part of my life since we were 14. We were laughing on the phone just last night. Now we are 54. Forty years of friendship. I can hardly believe it.

So for your birthday, I wish you the everlasting gift of excellent friends who will be there for you for the rest of your very long, happy, healthy life.
Thanks sooo much!
Happy almost birthday! Have adventures, explore new territory, experience all that you can.
Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen! :-)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service