Hi there,

I'm a little confused about the 1.5 type - my endo says I'm Type 1 because my antibody test was positive. But I'm also 33, and my Mom was 30 when she was diagnosed with type 1 as well. I've heart that Type 1.5 is relatively new and I'm wondering if it's common that endos aren't yet making the distinction.

Thanks so much!

Views: 529

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, unfortunately, it is common that doctors and even endos miss LADA; more frequently they misdiagnose it as Type 2. You have not been misdiagnosed. You are Type 1! LADA (I don't care for the term 1.5) is a form of Type 1 in which onset is more gradual and which occurs later in life. (I've got you way beat, I was (mis) diagnosed at age 58! Once the initial stages pass and our bodies stop making much insulin, we are, for all intents and purposes, Type 1's. The real differences between us and Type 1's diagnosed as children, is, imho, more psychological. I think there are things people go through when they are diagnosed with a chronic disease so young that we don't.

When I first figured out (myself with the help of this website!) that I was LADA, that distinction meant a lot to me, because I had worked so hard to arrive there. But I quickly learned that very few people knew (or frankly, cared) what it meant! When, after figuring it all out I finally saw an endo and presented her with my list of five things that made me know I was Type 1, not Type 2, she merely checked them all off and said, nodding, "You are Type 1". These days, nearly five years since my first diagnosis and 3 years since my correct one, I just call myself "Type 1". When occasionally, someone, such as m cardiologist made the assumption that I'd been Type 1 since childhood (with the attendant risk factors) I said that I was "adult onset".

Initially you will be managed differently because you are still making some insulin (have you had a c-peptide) but in time it won't make much difference.

Thanks Zoe, this clears it up so much. It has been a frustrating road with doctors largely because of the assumptions they make based on weight. Because I'm quite slight, no one thought I could have diabetes, even though my Mom is Type 1, even after I lost a kidney, even with a celiac diagnosis. No one even ran an A1C because my urine tests never had sugar (I was running 5k every day). It seems that they only have the tools to diagnose when things are really at a crisis level rather than for prevention.

This website is sooo helpful! I've been trying to glean some knowledge from the Type 1 resources but it hasn't helped as much. It's the LADA discussions that really speak to me. That is so great that you challenged your diagnosis!! It really is important, the treatments are so very different between Type 1 and 2. Thanks again for sharing :)

Hi Jodi, if you don't mind me asking, what lead to your diagnosis? The reason I ask is that I was diagnosed at the age of 27 and my daughter is now 24. She also runs and I remind her often to be aware of symptoms as she approaches the age at which I was diagnosed.

No worries! It was actually a random physical that my GP decided to run because I wasn't feeling well. It's a standard that he always runs the A1C because he's extra diligent (and a great GP in my opinion).

I thought that I felt better eating low carbs and no processed foods only because they are generally healthier. But it was just my way of coping with extremely high blood sugars. Every time my sugar runs high, I still want to get out and run until I feel better. At least I'm lucky enough to be able to lower it by exercise!

I would recommend getting an A1C test done - there are too many other factors that can interfere with a fasting test or urine test! My fasting test was lower because I never ate after 6pm and always had a nightly run. I don't know why they bother to use it these days as so many people can slip by. My mom would on occasion test my BG whenever I would visit and it still didn't show up. The best to you and your daughter!

Thanks so much Jodi! This is good advice. I've always periodically tested my daughter too and she has had fasting tests done but not an A1c that I know of. I will definitely suggest that to her (strongly..)! :)

It really doesn't hurt to be careful and it's always better to catch these things earlier rather than later :) Another sign I had was recurrent bladder infections that would not go away - just a sign of my immune system working over time!

My mom was very shocked when she found out I have type 1 as well and it was painful for her. But we understand each other so much better and many things she went through make sense to me now :)

I feel your mother's pain, Jodi, as I pray that my daughter doesn't have to deal with this. Bless you. :)

I too was diagnosed randomly at a physical, and would also recomend the A1C for your daughter. You can buy them over the counter now.

If I was going to use the term Type 1.5 for ANYONE, it would be the thin, antibody-negative, non-MODY folks, who have no diagnostic criteria, nor any name for their disease, but who are NOT classic obese T2's with metabolic syndrome. There are several people on the Thin T2 list who have mentioned losing weight when they weren't overweight to begin with, but experiencing increasing BGs, and while some have responded to T2 medications, some haven't. Whenever I buzz over to that group, I always recommend antibody testing, especially if they're losing weight, and not responding to oral meds, but some of them HAVE been tested, and are definitely antibody-negative. So, for the moment, I'm welcoming them into my Type Weird category, LOL! But, as Jodi said, diabetes is WAY more complicated than the docs make it out to be, and everyone is different. The ultimate goal is correct treatment, regardless of which box they put you in.

Hi Natalie: But I would say about the thin people you are describing, have they actually done the testing to prove they are not MODY? I know very few people who have actually done the testing--it is very expensive, rarely covered by insurance, and performed by few labs in the entire world. And of course I am total agreement with you about getting the correct treatment.

No, most have not mentioned testing for MODY. But for MODY, there is supposed to be a strong autosomal dominant mode of inheritance, and most do NOT show that.

Of course, it may be that the medical profession is wrongly suggesting that a parent has to have had it -- Anni, who has been proven to have MODY 3, and inherited it through her father, says that her father (or grandfather, I forget) didn't have it, but either the paternal grandmother or greatgrandmother did (hope that makes sense). So that blows that theory as far as I am concerned, but it takes the medical profession a long time to figure things out.

She got me started wondering whether that's what I have, too, but I really don't fit that box, either. And since I'm being resistant about ANY testing at the moment, I'm certainly not going to pay for that! I've got my game plan figured out, and that's the way it's going to be!

Hi Newbie: Welcome to the club! Yes, you have Type 1 diabetes (not 1.5, that is a "slang" term). You were diagnosed at the same age as Mary Tyler Moore, now the head of JDRF International, so you can consider yourself in good company. The majority of new-onset Type 1 diabetes is actually seen in adults, despite the widespread myth that it is a childhood disease. It's not. I have written multiple blogs about adult-onset Type 1 diabetes. My most recent is my top ten tips for the newly diagnosed adult-onset T1. I hope you find the blog useful. People also like my Bill of Rights blog. TuDiabetes is a great resource, I hope you get the support and answers that you need and want!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service