Type 1 diagnosed 8 months ago, still not using insulin...

My eight-year-old daughter was diagnosed in March, 2011 with Type 1. When she was diagnosed she was put on four insulin shots per day. After returning from vacation in June I decided the family needed to eat healthier. I quickly realized that this did wonders for my daughters BG levels. I was tired of hearing the diabetic experts tell me, "feed her anything she wants and offset it with insulin" so I took her to a nutritionist. We started following a low glycemic diet and since then she hasn't had any insulin, none.

I'm looking for others that have experienced this. How long did it last? I feel my daughter is safer and overall healthier and I want to extend this "honeymoon" period as long as possible. I don't want to get my hopes up but I don't know what to expect.

Her last A1c was 5.6.

Views: 5893

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Guys,
Let's take a moment to breathe and take a step back... Disagreements are OK. But there's no need to turn to calling anyone names or attacking anyone's position.

Please, let's chill a little bit and remember the values that we all abide by in the community:
http://www.tudiabetes.org/profiles/blogs/the-values-of-tudiabetes

Thanks.

I want to try to redirect this whole discussion back to the original topic. I really have no interest in this whole side discussion.

In 2009, a woman started posting (altho not here) about her efforts to help her child "heal" her T1 diabetes with (paleo) diet. There was a lot of backlash. Her daughter (then 13) was able to stop insulin. You can read about it here. A lot of people criticized her for this, but she watched her daughter carefully and although her daughter had a wonderful "honeymoon" she did have to go back on insulin. It is really hard to know from individual anecdotes whether it makes a difference. You can read through her chronicles in her blog. In the end, T1OnTheRun proved to be a great mother who was just trying to find a way to help her daughter.

I wish I could tell you that the diet mattered, but I can't. I think he you asked T1ontheRun, she would say it made a difference and trying was better than just passively watching things happen. I think if it were my child, I would be willing to try alternative diets if they were safe. And generally I consider low GI, low carb and paleo-like diets perfectly safe. I hope that helps.

i personally don't think diet was the issue and that wasn't the issue of concern at least for me.....my concern was the reluctance to use insulin as if it's some evil take over the world sludge....

you can be on whatever diet you choose.....but if the reason to go on that diet is to not use insulin if your a t1because you have a negative connotation of what isulin may or maynot be is pennywise and pound foolish....

we can talk food all day i am an absolute foodie soo much soo the only reason i can afford insulin is because i make and sell food, there is no insurance or medicare for me, the only thing that keeps me alive is my ability to make and sell great food so i can buy more insulin.....considering i am still alive and my restaurant has increased it's volume 20-30 percent from the time i purchased it, (during this great recession where people cannot afford to go out to eat as much)

so please let's talk about food and how it reacts within the body this IS what i do.....

which is why i probably get sooo adament when people start barfing information they heard from a hippie whos is mademad at the medial industry but also realizes that in order for said homeo medician natural man to make moneyu his has to make the consumer disput anything the medical profession does, for the obvious reason that, that is his direct competition whom he is trying to steal patients from....

Speaking as somebody who has been where you seem to be, Jeremiah.... you seriously need a vacation. Your thoughts are all over the map. You need to step away from it all, get some perspective. This is not an attack on you, it's a life preserver thrown over the side of the ship, I hope you grab it friend.

+1

sure buddy??.... i can't get enough of what i do, and i want more of it....

my prospects look quite positive, and what you may call stress and too much on your plate, i call it life's nectur.

but thanks for giving me insight on how you view life.... i'm sorry your life gets too stressful for you and you have needed to take a break from it all that must suck, having soo much going on at one time and failing at it to the point where you felt like you were drowning and needed a life timeout.....

this isn't an attack on you.....but some of us enjoy the organized chaos that is life....

again i wasn't complaining about my life, i absolutely love my life do you love yours or do you think you need another mid life crisis or life break or whatever you want to call it....

i must pause now as i grab a napkin and wipe life's nector off my chin.........

i will be looking forward to your future insight you feel of my life but may actually just be a reflection of the failure of yours??? because i cannot claim to know what you need as i do not know you, but yet you are somehow in my inner circle?????

Wow, I stand corrected I guess. Good luck with your life.

Mods: Can we get a clean up in aisle 5?

thanks for the good wishing you as well, hero.. now back to your own business

This discussion thread is being closed. 

One of our most important values in the community is that of Diversity and Respect. Quoting from the post Values of TuDiabetes:
 “We value diverse points of view. All people touched by diabetes are welcome. You may find opinions and positions that are not similar to yours and it's OK to disagree. It's just not OK to do so in a disrespectful manner. If you are unsure about whether something may be disrespectful to others, try to put yourself in the shoes of the other person and consider how you would feel if you were on the receiving end of the comments/contribution you are making.” 

We don't expect everyone to agree on everything, but it’s important as a community member to express our opinions in ways that are respectful of others.

Thank you for your understanding,
TuDiabetes Administrative Team

For the record, the administrative team here at TuDiabetes would like to state that we have personal knowledge of children with similar insulin requirements during the honeymoon phase. While the general rule is that the younger the individual, the shorter the honeymoon, each individual is different and we here at TuDiabetes respect that YDMV (Your Diabetes May Vary). The honeymoon phase in children usually lasts 3-6 months, but a low-carb diet could certainly extend it beyond that timeframe. Shana speaks as though she is carefully monitoring her child and deserves the respect we should afford to all members.

For reference on honeymooning, please see:
http://www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_id=103442#honey
http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/insulin/about_insulin
http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/dteam/2009-06/d_0d_fk1.htm

Additionally, it's a good idea for all of our members to occasionally refer back to our stated Values of TuDiabetes. This thread became unnecessarily hostile between members with opposing viewpoints and that's not how we prefer that our community operate.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service