Type 1 diagnosed 8 months ago, still not using insulin...

My eight-year-old daughter was diagnosed in March, 2011 with Type 1. When she was diagnosed she was put on four insulin shots per day. After returning from vacation in June I decided the family needed to eat healthier. I quickly realized that this did wonders for my daughters BG levels. I was tired of hearing the diabetic experts tell me, "feed her anything she wants and offset it with insulin" so I took her to a nutritionist. We started following a low glycemic diet and since then she hasn't had any insulin, none.

I'm looking for others that have experienced this. How long did it last? I feel my daughter is safer and overall healthier and I want to extend this "honeymoon" period as long as possible. I don't want to get my hopes up but I don't know what to expect.

Her last A1c was 5.6.

Views: 6091

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

really no one is arguing the honeymoon period i went through it it was great at times and not so much others when it added too many additions to the math problem at others.....

what i am concerned with is this blind eye that honeymoon means no insulin for almost a year for this child..... that brings the concern of wrong dx or mistreatment.....consideing the foods she has listed as ffeding her daughter the honeymoon helps cover the liver's part in this whole production when you add fruits to your diet as she has said she has i don't care how many jumping jacks you do if you have diabetes than insulin is the only thing that will bring a quick spike like that down which is why they suggest pasta for t2's because of the slow spike being easier to walk off than 100 carbs of watermelon.....

yeah but i actually find it easier to judge how i am going to react while diving or fishing or expolring spoil islands....

the honeymoon was great because it was new??? but crashes and the learning curve were let's say fun, but thats the training wheels of the disease.... now that i feel i understand how the game is to be played it is no longer a trick but a game to be played, and enjoy such as life.... and even the enjoyments that food delivers from it at least 3 times a day.....enjoying food doesn't mean it has to be oatmeal creme pies and oreos.....

there is this weird war going on with food because people are soo seperated from farm to fork, it is really is perturbing how one allows themselves to have little to no knowledge of what food actually is......not being elitist here just an observation.....

if i say same me an unhealthy or bad food what is the first thing that pops in your head, candies, cremepies, guum drops and just about anything willy wonka created....

but will eat a preserved health food product like soy and not because one enjoys soy but becuase some how milk from a cow or goat.....soy being a seed that need to be fertilized with chemicals sprayed with pesticdes while it is growing, and when made to it's final product makes a secretion that isn't so healthy and some say is toxic to the body(leave that to the experts)

fiber naturally has no flavor guess how that is added all you health bar nuts.......

Sorry, but this isn't correct based on anything I've read. The liver does not produce insulin so is irrelevant to this. The honeymoon happens because there are still Beta cells alive and making insulin in the pancreas. The honeymoon starts to end when enough of these Beta cells have been killed that they can't keep BG normal. The honeymoon is totally over when all (or almost all) of the Beta cells have been killed in the autoimmune attack.

your liver naturally produces energy so you can function which is why when you drink alcohol the risk for hypo increases because the liver is oxidzing the alocohol for the next few hours sometimes in a drunken stupor unable to help one's self......

this pickling actually kept me alive or at least not in the e.r. soon so i guess i should tell this girls mom to let her kid down bottles of patron because it will counter act the liver's ability to it's job so that way she never has to give her daughter insulin ever....just keep the shots flowing every couple of hours right???!!!...(that in no way was meant to be taken seriously as advice, but is in reality one reason i am still here i feel.....much to some peoples dismay...

if the pancreas only had to work for food then yes the GI and diet arguement is feasible but the liver plays a huge role in making the energy the insuloin allows into the cells...

Not saying the liver is not important BUT- insulin is the the problem NOT the liver.......The Liver of most type 1's is actually functioning normally at least as far as glucose production.
When the liver gets the signal the cells are starved it responds by kicking out more glucose. The only reason the liver gets the signal the cells are starving is because there is not enough INSULIN. If there is enough insulin then the liver does not kick out so much. Thus insulin is the problem. The liver is working just like it is suppose to in this situation.
Furthermore, glucose production is stopped in the presence of alcohol not because the liver is busy metabolizing the alcohol in a drunken stupor but because the alcohol inhibits an enzyme that is required for glucose production in the liver.

and you know from expiernence since you have or have not pickled yourself for a few months or weeks right???

after awaking from my nice double iv of insulin sulfate, potassium and mother nature knows what else, the doctors and i had a nice long discussion trying to figure out how exactly i was kept alive and running a full service restaurant while wasting away to somilia kid size on suzzane summers commercials.....

pickling definately played a huge part....

but please dr. mossdogg refute this ....and advise why doctors caution and medicine companies caution combing insulin with alcohol??? you know is alchol is negative impacts on the body and isn't produced naturally like thc...which is why the body throws it up if there is too much in it's system....not the case with thc...

Hmmmm get defensive much Jeremiah?

I am not quite sure what you are even trying to argue. You speak as if you know something but then trail off into THC which wasn't even part of the discussion. It is difficult to "discuss" with someone when you are not even quite sure what they are discussing. Read my post. Didn't once say that alcohol does not effect the livers ability to produce glucose

"Pickling" helped prolong your need for insulin. Shana is using low glycemic index foods to accomplish the same thing for her daughter. We hear stories of people doing this all the time on this site. Why do you have a problem with it? If you are going to be hyper critical of what someone is doing at least try to have all the facts straight before you begin being so critical.

your the one one trying to correct someone there, claiming you have correct knowledge of something that i do not....

you claim some enzyme is secreted which is what disrubts the liver's ability to perform properly, i say that i sfalse....

alcohol is a toxin which must be purified through the liver. the liver must stop it's processes to perform this detoxicification....

now you may have a hard time understanding and following multiple thoughts but please try and keep up....

the THC was reference to another drug that is not considered toxic because it is a naturally produced chemically that the body doesn't see as a threat....

keep up i know you can..... it must have been hard in school to handle p.e. and math, and reading huh??

Guys,
Let's take a moment to breathe and take a step back... Disagreements are OK. But there's no need to turn to calling anyone names or attacking anyone's position.

Please, let's chill a little bit and remember the values that we all abide by in the community:
http://www.tudiabetes.org/profiles/blogs/the-values-of-tudiabetes

Thanks.

I want to try to redirect this whole discussion back to the original topic. I really have no interest in this whole side discussion.

In 2009, a woman started posting (altho not here) about her efforts to help her child "heal" her T1 diabetes with (paleo) diet. There was a lot of backlash. Her daughter (then 13) was able to stop insulin. You can read about it here. A lot of people criticized her for this, but she watched her daughter carefully and although her daughter had a wonderful "honeymoon" she did have to go back on insulin. It is really hard to know from individual anecdotes whether it makes a difference. You can read through her chronicles in her blog. In the end, T1OnTheRun proved to be a great mother who was just trying to find a way to help her daughter.

I wish I could tell you that the diet mattered, but I can't. I think he you asked T1ontheRun, she would say it made a difference and trying was better than just passively watching things happen. I think if it were my child, I would be willing to try alternative diets if they were safe. And generally I consider low GI, low carb and paleo-like diets perfectly safe. I hope that helps.

i personally don't think diet was the issue and that wasn't the issue of concern at least for me.....my concern was the reluctance to use insulin as if it's some evil take over the world sludge....

you can be on whatever diet you choose.....but if the reason to go on that diet is to not use insulin if your a t1because you have a negative connotation of what isulin may or maynot be is pennywise and pound foolish....

we can talk food all day i am an absolute foodie soo much soo the only reason i can afford insulin is because i make and sell food, there is no insurance or medicare for me, the only thing that keeps me alive is my ability to make and sell great food so i can buy more insulin.....considering i am still alive and my restaurant has increased it's volume 20-30 percent from the time i purchased it, (during this great recession where people cannot afford to go out to eat as much)

so please let's talk about food and how it reacts within the body this IS what i do.....

which is why i probably get sooo adament when people start barfing information they heard from a hippie whos is mademad at the medial industry but also realizes that in order for said homeo medician natural man to make moneyu his has to make the consumer disput anything the medical profession does, for the obvious reason that, that is his direct competition whom he is trying to steal patients from....

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service