I figured someone might be able to use some of this data. I have been a type 1 diabetic for 29 years (I'm 30). In the past year I have done 2 fasts: 1 was for 7 days no food, but did have juice on hand for any drastic drops in bg. The other was 2 days of 1 smoothie only, 2 days of only water, then 2 more days of 1 smoothie only. First off it can be done. I did it. I was alone when I did the water only and was with a roommate with the juice fast.

The first fast with juice was chaotic. I was on a pump and dropped my basal rates in 1/2, then three days in, in 1/4 of standard rates. It seemed to be working, but weird things would happen. I checked my bg every couple of hours or so. There was a particular time I felt clammy and anxious, so I figured I was low. Checked my bg and it was 223, which is just about where I wanted to keep it. But I felt terrible low, so 15 min later I checked again. It 47. This was no good. I drank some fresh squeezed carrot and orange juice. It went up shortly thereafter. The weird blood sugar sensitivity didn't leave for about 4 days after coming back to normal food. For instance, I went climbing 2 days after breaking the fast and my bg was at 250 and I had just eaten a can of pasta. Started climbing, bg plummetted. Went down to 40's. Ate two handfuls of glucose, came up to 150's, but plummetted again as soon as I started climbing. I literally had to stuff glucose tabs into my face all day and I couldn't keep it from dropping. So be aware if you choose to do this.

Fwiw, some miraculous things happened after this juice fast. I had arthritis in my big toes that was so bad that it caused vomitting on a couple of occasions. The doctors put me on IBprofin 800 mg and Voltarin, and the pain was was still so excrutiating that caused dizziness and vomitting. I couldn't move my big toes at all without pain. On the 6th day of this fast, I woke up to my toes wiggling without any pain, but still a little pressure. 7th day, pain free, and it's never really came back.

The second fast was in the early part of October this year. The 2 day smoothie part was to prime my body for the water only part. The smoothie days were pretty regular. The 2 day water only part actually turned out to be very enlightening. I was on MDI shots, with levimir as my long acting and novolog as my fast acting. I'm not a fan of pumps anymore, but thats another story. I stopped taking my long acting all together so I wouldn't bottom out. I actually got some really valuable data from this experiment. My blood sugar would raise 100mg/dl per 2 hours. Not 50 per hour, but 100 per two hours; as it was sometimes nothing the first hour, then 100, or 25, then 75, etc. This was with purely nothing in my system, no food, no anything.

It was kind of revealing to me, this trending upwards of 100 points every 2 hours IS Diabetes. That is what it is. I know that sounds kind of dumb, but this flux upwards (that I now have numbers for) is what it means to be diabetic. Anyways, I just treated the highs every two hours and my bgs were quite consitent (for once...). When I came back to foods, everything went back to normal. Back to my standard dose of levimir and novolog, and back to normal foods. As far as what I felt like during the fast, I felt horrible. Like I had the flu, but I don't think that had anything to do with my Diabetes. Anyways, i thought this might help a few people out there that are curious about fasting and diabetes.

Tags: Fast, Waterfast, fasting, food, juicefast, no

Views: 1887

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Cary for your reply. I have tried the higher fat, low carb diet already. I've actually tried a quite a few diets for a variety of outcomes. I have tried the variants of paleo, primal, and atkins diets, as well as vegetarianism, veganism, and 80/10/10 raw veganism-which I felt the best on, but my bgs were rather chaotic. I have a lot of data from these experiments, all of which lasted no less than 3 months (I feel if you don't give a lifestyle change at least 3 months, you can't really know if it works or not. If you want to discuss any of the outcomes feel free to email me). The diet I tried in response to this was in line with Dr. Bernstein's diet, so was very low carb and high good fats and protein. I basically copied "The Primal Blueprint" diet and worked in my own variables according to costs and sugar.

The theory is that the lower the carbs, the lower the variables in your bg. I restricted my diet down to <30 carbs a day, increasing my protein and fat for calories. Eggs, salmon, olive oil, greens, and trail mix were staples. My bgs were just a tad more stable, but the main problem was that I felt awful. I had no energy, no pick up. They said that eventually I would change into burning fats instead of carbs for energy, or I would put my body into to Ketosis, which as was mentioned earlier is different than Ketoacidosis. This is just another form of fuel burned for energy, and theoretically more efficiently, ketoacidosis is toxicity. But I just couldn't get any energy. I went for 6 weeks of <30 carbs (2 weeks is sufficient time to turn on to ketosis and off of carb burning). I never felt any pick up in energy, and noticed that my coffee intake just about doubled at week 6. I want off coffee eventually, so this was no good. I kept at the diet turning up the carbs a little at a time. I felt the best between 100-150 carbs aday, but this feeling of "best" is miles away from how good I felt while Raw Vegan, but again, my bgs were very hard to manage while Raw Vegan 80/10/10. Maybe do you have a different experience with high fat low carb? If so, I'd love to hear it, and how you got it to work.

Oh and I've gotten rid of my arthritis pain completely. The juice fast completely took it away, but it slowly came back, but never back to the way it was. The pain is maybe 5% of what it was and has only came around once this year. Now if I feel any pain, I just eat some Turmeric and it's gone.

Fasting and diet changes are so much more difficult with T1 and I can hardly believe your fortitude. Kudos for thinking for yourself and going off the beaten path which really paid off. Chronic pain is no picnic and few people would ever have gotten off that train. Tx for sharing.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service