Sept 10 was my birthday, 72 years old. Today (Sept 15) completes my 66'th year of T1. I am sill healthy and do not have any diabetes related complications, except for mild nerve damage. There had been a diagnosis of autonomic neuropathy, but that is false. My cutting down on my BP med to minimum dosage has almost eliminated my dizziness, and my BP is still good. I do not have symptoms of autonomic neuropathy now.

Working out at a gym 3 days per week has greatly increased my stamina and given me some extra muscle. I painted two sides of my house this summer. I know I will start to slow down one of these years, but I hope it will not be any time soon.

Views: 1054

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We do have passports, so it may happen. I promise we will not show up unannounced.LOL There is only a 50/50 chance this will happen, Anita is very nervous about traveling to unfamiliar places, especially where we may not understand the language (French) of many of the people. No problem in Ottawa though, eh? Maybe some time in 2012 or 2013. .
Oh sorry that I over-stepped Richard. I hope that I didn't mess up your plans to visit Montreal. It is definitely a more exciting city than Ottawa. It's the government's fault. We have lots of festivals, tours, concerts, museums, the arts, etc. We used to go to the U.S.A. and Quebec quite often when we were younger. We did have problems sometimes in Montreal, Quebec City and other areas finding People who spoke English but we made it through since some were Very Nice, helpful and spoke English also. There are some sections of Quebec where the People are mostly just English speaking or bilingual. Those are the places where we rent cottages.

Ottawa is much more bilingual including the road signs so we haven't had problems. I understand Anita. It makes a vacation/visit less enjoyable if you can't find someone who speaks the same language to answer our questions. For me now, it's the long drives that bounce my joints and tire me out. I think you are about 7 hours away eh? We'd be Happy to meet you somewhere on this side near the border so you could follow us to Ottawa, if that would help. You'd have to tell us ahead of time though so Phil could book one of his weeks vacations at the time you may be interested in visiting.

Oh and....do not forget your paintbrush. :D
Terrie, thanks for the helpful information. I think we would take a bus tour of Montreal and then visit the park area north of the city. Three days would do it. then we would drive west towards Ottawa. I had mapped out this trip at least 10 years ago, but we never got around to it. We fly to Atlanta every year to visit our sons, DIL and grandkids. Two trips in the same year gets to be expensive. In October, this year, we are flying to Minneapolis to a diabetes expo. We will meet about a dozen diabetes friends from the diabetes websites there. It is a great city for touring too. This will be the first real vacation for us in several years.
That's a Good idea Richard! That way you get to see more of both cities and you will have less to worry about. Hmmm...10 years eh? Well, I guess it is soon time to get down to business then. :D Yes, I know. Trips aren't as cheap as we think they should be. It's Nice that you get to see your Family though.

Yes, I remember you mentioning the meet-up at the Diabetes Expo in Minneapolis. Ha! That should be a Blast! You Well deserve your Real vacation Richard. Have a Fabulous time with your D-Buddies! We want photos! ;o)
Thanks for sharing, Richard! Happy belated birthday and diabetesversary! Sound like you have so much to celebrate - thanks for sharing your story with us!
Thanks Joeynicole, I like that name.
Hi Richard. Let me add my congratulations and my thanks for your posts, which are informative, sometimes funny, always inspirational.
My congrats to you, Richard. You are an inspiration and a wonderful man!!
God Bless,
Brunetta
Thanks so much, Brunetta!!
Thank you Trudy!!!
Adding my birthday and diaversary greetings. That's awesome. You're an inspiration. Thanks for sharing your story.
Thanks Diana!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service