Sept 10 was my birthday, 72 years old. Today (Sept 15) completes my 66'th year of T1. I am sill healthy and do not have any diabetes related complications, except for mild nerve damage. There had been a diagnosis of autonomic neuropathy, but that is false. My cutting down on my BP med to minimum dosage has almost eliminated my dizziness, and my BP is still good. I do not have symptoms of autonomic neuropathy now.

Working out at a gym 3 days per week has greatly increased my stamina and given me some extra muscle. I painted two sides of my house this summer. I know I will start to slow down one of these years, but I hope it will not be any time soon.

Views: 1058

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Richard. You the man!!! I have not forgotten about lunch one day but have been very hectic around the office.
Hi Ray! I am available most any day. I am going to Minneapolis, Oct 12-17 fot their diabetes expo, and to meet a dozen or so diabetes friends from diabetesdaily.com. It will be great to finally meet these people. Most of them live in the Twin Cities region.
Enjoy your trip.
I didn't know about carbs until 1988, when I read about our needing to restrict carbs in a magazine. That was 43 years after my diagnosis. My doctors told me very little. Even now, 90% of what I know about diabetes was gathered here on the online support groups, from Google research, and in a few books I have read. My doctors provided my prescriptions, but they taught me very little about diabetes.

Yes, Testape was yellow, and turned shades of green when exposed to urine. The darker the shade, the higher the glucose level.
Happy belated birthday, Richard! You keep on truckin'!
Thanks, Emily!
Happy birthday Richard! 66 years is quite an accomplishment! I'm new here, and people like you are the reason I joined. I look forward to many more stories about people who have lived with diabetes for so long and have lived happy, healthy lives!
Hi David, thanks! There is a book you might enjoy, it is called "50 Secrets of the Longest Living People With Diabetes", by Sheri Colberg and Steven Edelman.
Happy birthday! I am 20 years old and your story makes me feel so positive and hopeful for my future too! Many thanks!
I am always pleased to hear that my longevity, and good health can give hope to other diabetics. Good luck to you!
Thank you so much for sharing. You are my Hero! I am nearing my 20th anniversary and feel very hopeful about the future. I have two small children, a wonderful husband and really just an all around beautiful life. I work very hard to balance it all and stay healthy.... very successfully I might add! It is so nice to see your post and know that the effort is well worth it. You are such an inspiration to those of us putting in the many hours and effort to stay healthy! Thank you.
I am pleased to hear that you are doing so well! Keep up the good work. Thanks for your kind words!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service