Did you hear on the news tonight a possible cure for Type 2, but they don't know why it happens.

Some Type 2 diabetics that had Bariatric surgery and diabetes, a few days or even few hours after the surgery, they no longer were diabetic and no longer needed medication, even before any weight loss.

That shows how some of the myths of obtaining Type 2 are so false.

Views: 535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I did that: no starch in my diet since December. Three months with no bread, pasta, crackers, flour, thickeners (no corn starch, potato starch, tapioca starch, or the like), no potatoes or starchy veggies of any kind, and a drastic reduction in fruit intake (no fruit juice or dried fruit, maybe two pieces of whole fruit per week.) My total carb intake yesterday was 36 gm, for example, and almost all of that was from low-glycemic veggies. I am trying to keep it under 50 gm/day.

Despite injecting 66 IU total of Levemir every day (in two injections, twelve hours apart) and giving myself bolus/correction shots of Novolog, I still wake up every morning between 135 and 175. Regularly drop into the nineties by afternoon and if I go much higher on the Levemir I drop hypo in the wee hours while I sleep, e.g. 53-54 mg/dl.

Most importantly for my long-term well-being, restricting carbs REDUCES to about 10% the relentless craving for carbs that I normally have when I indulge.

Carb restriction is KEY to my diabetes management, along with regular, gentle exercise. To me there is no question that T2's should all give a good, solid try to carb restriction before they do something drastic like bariatric surgery.

It seems there's a large psychological component to this as well. From what I've seen and read, people have to significantly change their eating habits when they have the surgery, yet many are able to do it, even though they may have had great difficulty doing so before the surgery. I find that part intriguing.

I guess I've always been a bit obsessed about the psychology of eating. Personally, I always said I wanted to make healthier eating choices, but it wasn't until my T1 diagnosis that I actually began to do so. It was like knowing I had a very tangible reason for it made it possible. I wonder whether the extremely drastic step of surgery is the only thing that can flip the switch in the brain for some people to change their eating habits.

And kudos to you for all the hard work you've put in!

all most interesting comment.

Funny thing was; I was on diet of 1200 calories and 2 miles walking for 2 years and couldn't lose an ounce ( got to 330 pounds) till liver excess release shutdown and after that lost weight to sub 240 on same diet and exercise.

I do not believe everyone suffers from excess liver games as I do but shows the complexity of this T2 fracas and in fact it truly is multi-organ, multi-hormone fracas needing some in depth research and inspection.

LaGuitariste, have you tried Lantus? Some of us do better on Lantus, some are better on Levemir. If one or the other isn't working well, it might be best to switch. I did, Lantus works better for me, lower dose, and better control. Just an idea.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service