Do any of you smoke cigarettes and or drink red wine?

Views: 187

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't take meds, or insulin.  I still do red wine every once in a while.  I've read it's best to tackle one thing at a time... like if you really crave carbs and sugar, deal with that, first... kicking it off your life first... before attempting quitting smoking...  Certainly, one thing at a time is best to not get overwhelmed, anyway.
Thanks. My kids are after me to quit everything since I told them about this condition. They look at me like I'm going to drop dead tomorrow. Too much stress. I know I have to change a lot - but it's only been two months and I think I'm doing okay. Lost weight, exercising regularily and minimum carbs - no meds yet. I just want to breath and take a break from the overwhelmingness - just for a day. I think my stress level is killing me faster than the blood glucose levels. 

Type 1 here, but I thought the following was interesting. 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080402212428.htm

I read a similar article a couple of years ago about a different study that used Canadian lab rodents of some sort with the smae result.  My type 2 diabetic coworker told me he notices if he has pasta for dinner, his bg is high the next morning, unless he has a glass of red wine with it. 

don't smoke but love red wine. nothing fancy cabs and shiraz in under $20 range usually 1-2 glasses per night actually seems to help my sugars  in the AM and w/ my dinner

I don't drink wine because I'm allergic to it- unfortunately. My fam are huge wine drinkers...

I used to smoke but quit because I couldn't rationalize continuing to smoke with diabetes.  But, I miss it terribly, and I could sure go for a nice tasty cigarette right now... :)

To me, drinking a moderate amount of wine and smoking are too entirely different things! Smoking is proven to be extremely hazardous for your health, though I don't know that it has any immediate effect on blood sugar. Wine in moderation is neither hazardous to your health or to your blood sugar. I really enjoy a glass of wine with dinner and it's been many years since I drank to get drunk. I'm a child of the 60s - been there, done that and then some! I feel grateful to be here and though I have things wrong with me - type 1 diabetes, thyroid and arrhythmia, I don't know that I can attribute any of that to my dissolute youth..lol. I also enjoy dark beers but have had to curtail that because they do affect blood sugar, one beer only and if I'm eating something with few carbs.

I'm LADA/Type 1, on MDIs and about to start pumping.

I know a couple of type1 smokers here.  lots of red wine drinkers.  I think Liz's advice is good, tackle one thing at a time.  You might meet some smokers here

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/diabeticsmokers

also, George Simmons here successfully quit smoking recently.  He's known on Twitter as @ninjabetic.  he was the guy playing basketball with his son on the World Diabetes Day video here.

Smoker!  Went from a pack a day to half pack a day the day I was diagnosed.  Now I'm down to five a day (cigs, not packs) but kind of hit a rut with it. Tried the patch but just wound up smoking on it.  Docs want to wait a month before I get chantix. 

No wine (get terrible headaches).

suftroml.. have you tired the nicoderm inhaler??? I agree the patch sucks.. but i have been smoke free since xmas eve. I am also on antidepressants.. so I think that helps also. wellbutrin is also known as zyban...which i assume is related to the chantrix... anyhow.. good luck!!!
Never tried the inhaler, but I'd probably smoke on it too. Even with nicotine replacement I get cravings. At my peak I was smoking three packs a day (this was a few years ago). But just two more months and I can get the pill. I'm already down to three or four sticks a day (on days I don't drive). Now that my classes are starting it's easier because I have something to do. Have you seen the commercial with the guy driving the forklift and crashing into everything because he can't remember how to drive it without smoking? That's like I am.
I quit about a year ago. The patches did zilch for me, but I found the lozenges helped- the oral fixation thing. That being said, I still have massive cravings for the occasional smoke, especially when I am denying myself some other goody. So far, I haven't given in....
I smoke cigars and pipes and have since I was about 18.  For the past 7-8 years I drink a glass of red or white wine most every night before bed or with a meal.  All is well and I just celebrated my 56 bd and in March, 2011 my 52 year of Type 1. 

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service