Who takes a day off from checking their blood sugar?? who eats whatever they want for just one day??? this Diabetic book i read said to take one day off from worrying about it. i was just wondering who here does that???

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow that sounds pretty crazy to me. But who knows, maybe people do that. That would be pretty nice, but i think I would still worry about it. I would probably get in trouble too!
I do believe in giving yourself respite and a break in the stress of life, but as a Type 1 I wouldn't go as far as not testing my blood sugar or using insulin for a day. Nope, not worth it!
I sometimes have the 'eat whatever I want' days.........but that means being even MORE diligent about bolusing, checking blood sugar, being on top of other things in general, etc.

If I just ate whatever I wanted and didn't check my blood sugar I'm pretty sure I'd end up feeling crappy (sick to my stomach, headache, etc.) or even putting myself in danger of DKA.
I'm guessing that book was written for type 2. Still a bad idea.

My answer = never.
I agree with the others. I have days that I'll do a 100 carbs, not sure if thats high or not, for me it is. But I can't imagine taking a day off from checking my BGS.
Vacation?? NO!! Never.
Vacation from worrying about it? YEP!!
Just a thought: You said "a day off from worrying about it". That you can do. Worrying is very stressful and not necessarily productive. I definitely agree that you can eat well, test your blood sugar and bolus accordingly while not worrying. Enjoy your life, kick back, break free, and don't focus on diabetes. Sure. That's all good. There seems to be a school of thought that says we are worrying too much about diabetes or about "numbers". I agree. But that doesn't mean we go "whoopeee" and just toss it all away. That would be pretty counter productive, no? But worry? Obsess? Those we can lay aside.
yes - never worth worrying about - but always worth paying attention to and taking care of as best you can
My day off from diabetes is not working in it (I work as a diabetic mentor). It's nice for me to take a break from constantly checking for latest medical updates, etc. that I have to Tweet / Facebook / forum post, etc. Actually taking a holiday next month where I hope to not have any WI FI connection at all - so I'm completely out of the loop in the D-OC! LOL Though I will be meeting up with some friends who are diabetic from Germany and maybe Italy and Spain!

What's the name of the book and the author Iala_wolf if you don't mind me asking - I'm a cat \\^,,^// - always curious :) - it's in my nature - like a dog with a "squirrel"
the book is "50 Myths that can ruin your life and 50 facts that can save it." and it wasn't saying to stop taking insulin all together and to not test al together. it said to test a little less or skip a less important test. and use insulin just eat something you are craving and such.
Not worrying about diabetes & not testing & eating whatever are different. Nope, I've never taken a day off from testing.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service