Who takes a day off from checking their blood sugar?? who eats whatever they want for just one day??? this Diabetic book i read said to take one day off from worrying about it. i was just wondering who here does that???

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My major reason for avoiding a lot of carbs is that they make me gain weight. The better control is a bonus. So while I do indulge occasionally, I try very hard not to make a habit of it. But if you can do it, more power to you! :-)
What would be good about a free day but a day I feel all sick?
I easily feel sick from a bg of 180 and up. On a day without testing and taking insulin shots but still eating carbs, I'm bound to feel very bad. Since I know that very well already, I don't want to cause it on purpose.

I eat whatever I want every day, I can't find anything wrong with that.
I had a few people trying to talk that out of me because they were convinced that I needed a special diet or something because they just couldn't picture a diabetic eating all normal. Just as a non-diabetic person does. But I do - and just as a non-diabetic person I try to eat healthy, but in a way I like it. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

So, back to the question of "vacation from worrying":
I, honestly, would worry MORE on a day I "take vacation" from it!

However, I definitely met people who didn't care at all - and ended up with an A1c of 13+.
I'd like to meet them again in 20 years or so and see if they're still feeling as great as in their teen years...
okay i didn't mean taking a whole day off from checking their bs levels. i mean skip one or check less for one day? and i did not say to not take insulin.....
I wish it were that simple, the last time I had a real good vacation from dealing with any of this testing and shooting crap was the day before the dreadful diagnosis on Jan 16th of 2001, and weeks prior to that I was beginning to feel like a rotten pile of $hit, especially after eating some of my birthday cake just 2 1/2 prior to the dreadful day, the day I found out I wasn't invincible like I once thought I was.

I now test at least 10 times a day, bolusing, and all the other fun that is stuck with me till the day I die, unless if some miracle cure arrives.
I feel as though when you go off (eat what you want, no exercise, break the rules) for one day (which I have) you feel even more pressured to do "good" on all the other days. Personally, I prefer to go bad for only one meal or for a portion of the day. Then, you can relive that moment sooner (like the next day), and make the right decisions. For instance if you have a BAD lunch, you only ruined that portion of the day. If you have a BAD breakfast, lunch and dinner, you ruined your entire day. Get what i'm saying? Or if you want to have a bad portion of the day, say it's your sister's birthday, and you want cake. Tell yourself during the entire day, I need to eat good so I can have that cake tonight. ok?

another point to keep in mind. When you do go "off" you cannot completely ignore it. If your blood sugar spikes, you will feel the side effects and your day will be even worse. Or if your blood sugar drops, your day will be hindered. So, my motto is:

"live life to the fullest...just don't forget to bolus"
Never take a day but I do take "moments". Birthday's, holidays, special occasions. There are more normal days than special days but I never miss out because of my diabetes.
I would never let my son take a break from checking bgs. But on Tuesday after a rough school day due to bgs, we decided lets hit pizza hut and then have ice cream! They both can be helllish on bgs, but we upped the basal, watched the CGM and let him enjoy. Ended up never even going over 200 :)

Sometimes I (I ALWAYS weigh everything he eats) let him eat chips or popcorn right out of the bag,and I swag it. Gives him a sense or normality and he said it just feels good. We still check bgs as normal, and bolus of course, but sometimes little things like that can make a word of difference.
As others have said its not a great idea to take a break from the diabetes routine - we would all like to but you pay for it one way or the other. I have a good 'feel' for what my blood sugars are up to and tend to know when I'm in the norm range so I do skip what I call 'non-essential' tests sometimes.

Best vacation you can take is to find a hobby or activity that takes your mind off things for a while. I happen to take a vacation from my life at 300km/h at a racetrack trying to dodge other cars :-) How can that be relaxing I hear you ask - simple, it is a task that requires 110% concentration...when I'm out there all I am thinking about is trying to get the car around the track in the fastest possible time...the rest of lifes worries just fade into the distance.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service