About 6 months before my son was diagnosed, he was sick with a weird viral illness that made him look like he had the mumps. His poor little cheeks were so swollen for about 12 hours then it just went away.
The hospital drew blood to check for mumps, but it was never sent off. The ER doctor said it was extremely unlikely since he had all his vaccines. Just wondering if any others out there may have had the same sort of experience with a strange sickness prior to their diagnosis.

Views: 414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Type 1 D is often auto immune related. For me I had got the flu prior to diagnosis, and just could NOT get over it. Not sure what your son had..if it was the Mumps or some other strange virus...but more times than not with Type 1, a viral type illness will often proceed the diagnosis of Type 1.

same with me I was constantly sick and had a lung infection when diagnosed.

same here too.

No strange Illness but stressed the hell out of my immune system before I was DX'ed. Was working 40 hours at one job 25 hours plus at my other going to school full time and raising to infants. I was getting maybe 4 hours sleep a day in like 2 hour spurts, living on energy drinks and barely eating.

Mine wasn't timed so closely, but about 8 years before my dx I had Hepatitis. It took about 6 months for me to recover completely. They never ID'd the type of Hep. that it was. My personal opinion is that the Hep. virus settled in my pancreas and destroyed my Beta cells. It can take a while for this to happen. In my case it took 8 years.

My son Eric had virus after virus after virus in the six months before his Dx. He started showing T1 symptoms about 2 months after this phase of constant illness seemed to pass. Not unusual, or so I'm told.

When I diagnosed (DKA) & I also had viral pneumonia. My endo said that I most likely had slowly increasing BG for about 5 years prior to crashing with DKA, so pneumonia was just added bonus.

I had a decent illness that required me to miss maybe up to a week of school a little before my diagnosis. A (viral) illness before and directly relating to a T1 diagnosis is on quite a few people's ideas of causes/contributors to some T1 diagnosis. I'm one of them.

I had really bad case of flu around Valentine's Day in the year I was diagnosed. I was out sick from work for almost two weeks. During that time, I drank lots of fluids as they say to do. When I got better from the flu, I was still so thirsty all the time. By Memorial Day weekend, I had lost about 20 pounds (from an already thin frame) and my eyes looked like two sunken pits in my face. I could barely get out of bed and had trouble breathing. I took myself to the local walk-in clinic, explained my situation and they immediately did a BG check. I don't know what my initial reading was. I don't know if they ever even told me. I was sent right to the hospital for stabilization and training. The doctor at the walk-in clinic said that the flu back in February had most likely triggered it, but that was the day my life changed forever.

Back in the days before the varicella vaccine, I had chicken pox a month before being diagnosed (1987). I had also had the flu the month before THAT. My physicians at the time said that T1 sometimes presented when a child was recovering from other viruses.
Funny that nowadays, some 25 years later, I'm hardly ever afflicted with anything viral. My husband catches the slightest bug, but I have a very strong immune system.

I got a severe case of adult chicken pox right b/4 dx'd.

I do not remember having a virus prior to admission but it was right before Christmas and I was a kid. My mom said that I had a terrible GI flu that landed me in the hospital for several days when I was only 2 years old. I also live close to a coal-fired plant that started chugging out heavy metals into our air when I was only 9 years old. I was dx at 15 years old with T1.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service