About 6 months before my son was diagnosed, he was sick with a weird viral illness that made him look like he had the mumps. His poor little cheeks were so swollen for about 12 hours then it just went away.
The hospital drew blood to check for mumps, but it was never sent off. The ER doctor said it was extremely unlikely since he had all his vaccines. Just wondering if any others out there may have had the same sort of experience with a strange sickness prior to their diagnosis.

Views: 415

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mumps measles and rubella vaccine from Merk of 1996 has a warning that it may cause diabetes. Coincidence?

I had a severe case of the Measles, then Dx'd with Diabetes.

I had a nasty case of pneumonia about a year and a half before my diagnosis, then started to experience chronic hives about six months later. A year seems like a long time but I'm still thinking that it had something to do with effing up my pancreas.

I was diagnosed in 1954 - 1955 (not exactly sure) and my family moved to Kenya - Nairobi. We had to have all sorts of immunizations - smallpox, polio yellow fever, cholera....etc. I had a very bad bout of whooping cough and that was right before my Dx

I had scarlet fever a year before I was diagnosed. Before I got scarlet fever I got strep throat all the time when I was younger.
In my opinion vaccines, chemicals/drugs in our food/water, gluten, low vitamin d/omega 3's, stress of any kind, viruses/infections/illnesses all can cause/lead to autoimmune disease. If you grew up with organic fresh food/water, had no vaccines, avoided gluten, had a good level of vitamin d, exercised, thought positive and was happy most of the time you would probably feel good and stay free from disease.

I had mono (which is actually the reason I have diabetes) but when the mono went away my doctors thought I had the mumps.

Yes, this is a pretty common experience for T1 PWDs, but not universal.

In fighting the viral illness/flu/pneumonia/other high fever "stuff", something goes haywire with some of our white blood cells and they start attacking the beta cells, eventually leading to the disease.

In my case, I get to it by working backwards from my diagnosis in Sept. 1973. I was pretty healthy (except for the peeing, 30 pound weight loss, thirsty, thirsty, tired, tired diabetic symptoms) until I get to a viral infection the previous November (1972). I had to placed on an alcohol mat for 5 days to try and keep my temperature down.

I had impetigo, a viral skin infection, that cropped up 3-4 weeks before my diagnosis, and some of the tests around that revealed my diabetes, but my doc said the diabetes had probably been developing prior to that.

I had a virus (stomach flu-type) and had Type 1 symptoms(thirsty, peeing a lot, etc.) but we didn't know they were symptoms of diabetes yet, and I never went to the doctor because I got better. A few months later I went into full on DKA and ended up in the hospital, at which point we realized that what I had been sick with earlier was a virus and symptoms of DKA. My doctor figured those few months in between my initial virus/ Type 1 symptoms and the later full blown DKA was probably my honeymoon period. I never had a honeymoon period after my official diagnosis, so he was probably right.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service