I have to admit, I was NOT the most compliant patient 10 years ago when I was diagnosed, in fact, those that read my posts know that I did NOTHING, NADA, NO WAY, about my diabetes for 2 years except take pills.  After those two years, I think there were 20 - 40 readings on my meter. Why I snapped to attention, I'll never know, maybe turning 50, did it....BUT, I did.  In those 10 years there have been many things I have said NO to as far as treatment is concerned. I said NO to Avandia and Actos, I said a rousing NO to some tests, I said no to driving 250 miles to meet with an endo...now he comes to my hometown.  I said no to byetta, then my research showed some optimism and I said yes, and here I am stuck on januvia, which is good, but I know that after this three months is up, I'm going to be looking at a byetta pen.  Most of the reasons I say know are not enough information, fear, and just plain wanting to stay status quo. 

In my much younger years I was a self abuser, and now being asked to poke myself five times a day with a needle, and then to go to byetta which is another needle, doesn't make sense, except in the end result.
I know it doesn't make sense, that's what I said.  No need to point that out to me.

But what I am wondering is are there treatments, tests, etc that you refuse to take or do and what is your reasoning, or am I the only non-compliant patient in the world.?

Tags: compliant, meds, patience, tests

Views: 190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HI ALL

It is your decision! however do your research on the subject if on the net if say three sites non related are saying it is safe then we can assume it is.

Always work with your doctor never be afraid to ask or question his/her actions

Hoss
E G M
I have to say that being paranoid makes me crazy (!). I've been very lucky in that I have not had any terrible experiences with doctors and/or the procedures I've had to undergo as a result of their decisions. The ones that I've been patients of have for the most part been very good to excellent, so I trust them.

I hope I never have the burden of having to fill my brain with medical research because of a bad experience, but I can certainly see how that would be a major cause of being distrustful of doctors -- and of course by then one would have experienced suffering at the hands of them so that is doubly unfortunate...
HI ALL

Was there ever a treatment that scared you to try?

Marriage medical if it makes sense give it a go
Hoss
E G M
Insulin was a nightmare for me coz of my needle phobia had to do everything in my power to get off it
I've said no thanks to three surgeons and to recommendations of Byetta, Januvia (twice), and Actos treatment, and most recently to CAT scans every 6-months (I may decline an upcoming alternative MRI until I'm no longer--if ever-- symptom free). Or else, I'll just eventually disappear solving my problem with compliance as I'm slowly & steadily loosing weight on Metformin.
Non-compliant with D - NO - I will do whatever it takes to stay healthy from D. I work in the healthcare field, and see and take care of the consequences everyday of non-compliance and it is not where I want to be in the future. Have I ever questioned a med or treatment, sure. But in the end, there has always been compromise.
Great Jennifer, you have an advantage here, you work with people in the health field, have knowledge of those tests and procedures that they want us to do. Most of us, don't, and our physicians or medical people aren't good at explaining why and whatfore, just DO IT! I think all of us would do just about anything to be healthier diabetics, however, most of us aren't as lucky as those who have diabetes and are in the field. We have to either do our homework very defensively and protectively, or trust 150% the medical team we have...and some of those teams are lacking. I don't call everything I do non compliant, I call it being informed. There are many things that I have been asked to do --- a hysterectomy for example, 15 years ago, that was totally unnecessary, the fibroid was removed without totally taking my utereus out; having a total knee replacement 12 years ago....someday it might be necessary, but not now, the science is not good enough to prove that this will be a one shot thing, unless of course I die. So these things are not being non-compliant, they are making sound medical decisions on my own behalf.
Ditto!
Compliance infers their "treatment" (whatever "X" might be) guarantees a specific result.

They do not.

Non-compliant does not mean that you are WRONG.... it means they have not convinced you sufficently. Until their treatments have no side-effects, you should be skeptical.

Stuart
Thank you, I needed that support and encouragement.
I am always arguing with my doc about BP meds. She wants me to take them as "they are recommended" to help prevent heart disease, I normally run 110's/60-70's. I also am trying to get off the statins and refuse flu vaccines.
It's a matter of finding a doc or team that will work with you, understands what you want to do, I think. This summer has been a lesson in that for me. Losing my CNP/CDE meant I had to think about what I was going to want in someone else, not just take anyone. I sat down and wrote the pros and cons of the relationship I had lost, what was good about it, what made it work, and what I wanted in someone to replace that.....then when I got ready to go and find that person, I took my needs, wants and desires with me on a sheet of paper. I asked if they were willing to do these things, what ones they had a problem with, what ones they would support and how much leeway I had in t he process. Amazingly, there was only one doc that said HE couldn't agree with most of it, HE was the doc, I was the patient. Well, needless to say, he didn't get the job. I will give on some things, I will think about others and then decide, and unless it's an emergency, NOTHING has to be decided in a 20 minutes appt. And then of course, there are those things that I am 100% on board for in the first place. But I had to be in charge. I had to be the one who said "yes" let's do it, or I'll be able to follow that thought. I still own this old carcus, and until which time that I sell it for a new one, I'll be making those decisions.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service